Olympus Objectives That Need NFK Relay Lens Correction

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
microb

Olympus Objectives That Need NFK Relay Lens Correction

#1 Post by microb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Olympus objectives now do not require any relay lens for fixing aberrations, like NFK X.X lens in the U-SPT tube. So Olympus has discontinued the U-SPT for BX/IX microscopes.

So what series identifiers indicate that a NFK relay lens should be there?

Thanks.

PeteM

Re: Olympus Objectives That Need NFK Relay Lens Correction

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:35 am

I may be able to help with part of the story.

The NFK series photo eyepieces were meant for finite Olympus optics of the BH2 era -- so those objectives would be marked DPlan, SPlan, SPlanApo as well as their various achromats and specialized finite objectives. Those finite systems also had some of the corrections in the eyepiece, hence the "K" in eyepiece descriptions like WK and WHK. So the NFK eyepieces had two jobs - some corrections and matching the image size to the film or sensor in use.

The PE series photo eyepieces were meant for infinite Olympus optics of the BX40+ era. By this point (UIS and UIS2 optics) the corrections were handled in the objective and in the telon lens. So, far as I know, the Olympus PE series photo eyepieces are just to match the image size to the film or sensor in use.

carlh6902

#3 Post by carlh6902 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:54 am

--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

microb

#4 Post by microb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks PeteM. That helps narrow answer my concern.

photomicro

#5 Post by photomicro » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 pm

A good explanation from Pete regarding corrections.

However, I cannot help but be slightly amused by the change made by Olympus, bearing in mind this, from a booklet they published in 1985 I think. It is a 40 page offering entitled 'Basics of the optical Microscope'.

A.jpg
A.jpg (155.13 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

Perhaps they no longer consider it superior?

Mind, it wasn't the only odd comment in the booklet, as the following to examples show. The handwritten comments were made by quite a prominent microscopist, no longer with us.

B.jpg
B.jpg (88.07 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
C.jpg
C.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

Hope you enjoy, and don't see this as hijacking the thread.