Microscope stroke in the back

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
ivangallego24

Microscope stroke in the back

#1 Post by ivangallego24 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:03 am

As it turns out that when I was keeping my microscope in its polystyrene box, in the closet I also had the base of a dobson telescope, and it turns out that I unintentionally leaned down and hit the back of the microscope, not where the targets are but where it is located the handle, although the blow apparently was something strong, the microscope seems to be fine and I leave no mark or anything, do you think you may have something broken or are these microscopes ready to withstand blows?

Scarodactyl

Re: Microscope stroke in the back

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:09 pm

The only way to be sure is to actually test it. It's probably fine but check all the mechanical functions and look through the objectives to make sure nothing has been knocked out of whack.

ivangallego24

#3 Post by ivangallego24 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:39 pm

I have looked and everything seems to be in order, however it seems strange the blow has not misaligned the prisms and optics, it must be because it is not a toy microscope

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Not every knock will do that, though even nicer microscopes won't always survive that kind of treatment (especially more recent ones with lots of plastic of course!).