Leitz and Lomo compatibility

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Bryan

Leitz and Lomo compatibility

#1 Post by Bryan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:48 pm

I’m wondering if there is any compatibility between parts with Lomo and Leitz. I know the Soviets took over Leitz factories after the war and continued production of Leica cameras without many changes. Same goes for Zeiss. Specifically I’m interested in some parts for my Leitz SM microscope from the 1950’s. Looking at some parts on the big auction site I can see some similarities in how condensers, stages and heads mount but without having them both in front of me I can’t tell if it would actually work. An example is the round dovetail collar to mount the head, the look very similar but a slight difference in diameter would be a problem. The way the stages mount to the body look very similar as well.

If anyone has interchanged parts like this I would be curious to know what works.

MicroBob

Re: Leitz and Lomo compatibility

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Bryan wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:48 pm
I know the Soviets took over Leitz factories after the war and continued production of Leica cameras without many changes.
Sorry, but this is wrong. Most of the Zeiss company was transported to russia, the workers too. The Zeiss designs lived on in many russian optical products like LOMO microscopes and KIEV cameras.
Leitz was in Wetzlar and was neither destroyed in WW2 nor transported off to Russia or France.

Leica camera copies were made around the world, the russians started several years before be begin of WW2.

Between classic Zeiss based russian instruments and Leitz there is little intercangeability. Mixing tubes and stands is difficult: Part of the tube length is in the microscope head and nose piece. So changeing the tube between stands changes the actual combined tube length.

Bob