Microscope for my wife?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Nwkmf

Microscope for my wife?

#1 Post by Nwkmf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi All!

I’m hoping you all can help me out...

My wife wants to get a microscope that would allow her to take images of microscopic stuff (forgive me lay person verbiage? :-/), then blow it up to be painted and essentially turned into art. Can anyone recommend a microscope that would allow her to take high quality images that could be enlarged to print on much bigger canvases without too much distortion? I’ve been looking at an OMAX but there seem to be a lot of complaints about the actual camera, particularly as it relates to shutter speed and the frame size? I have little to no knowledge of how this all works but want to make sure she has everything she needs to make her art, so any guidance is appreciated! I’d also say I think the greater range of zoom the better? I think she wants a lot of versatility in her “subjects.”

Thanks you in advance!
N

Scarodactyl

Re: Microscope for my wife?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Do you have an idea of your budget, and of the size of subjects she will want to photograph? If her workflow will involve painting the image she may not need tip top resolution since it will be her interpretation of the image anyway.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Another possibility for your wife's art would be to take very high resolution digital images, print them to a high standard, and then selectively paint over portions to create surreal photo-realistic "thingscapes." That would require somewhat better equipment, since some of the original image would still be present.

Do you already have a good, perhaps full frame, digital camera? That could be about half the equation, cost-wise, in a very good setup.

Nwkmf

#4 Post by Nwkmf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Thank you for the quick responses! I don’t know a ton about her intentions but I know she’s talked about dying the slides, so there may be no painting involved. (This why I think a high quality camera may be necessary) If we did get a high resolution digital camera, I’m unclear on how we would take a picture down the eye hole? (Again, forgive my lack of proper wording 😖)

For budget - I’d say up to $1000 all in? The one I mentioned before was $500-550, depending on whether I wanted the 3MP camera or the 10MP camera. Both options reported high quality magnification and observation use but issues with actual images due to small capturing ability versus the actual view and slow shutter speed. I’d also like for any software it comes with to be compatible with a Mac if possible.

Nwkmf

#5 Post by Nwkmf » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:18 pm

These are the two current front runners unless I’m told otherwise... (also help deciding would be appreciated!)

https://www.amazon.com/OMAX-40X-2000X-B ... ec57773cc3

Or...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SGCEXY8?ta ... th=1&psc=1

Although I also just found this one... is it worth the extra money?

https://www.amazon.com/OMAX-40X-2500X-S ... B01CILAKIK

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:24 am

You'll definitely want to get a trinocular microscope if photography is the main goal. It does sound like a standard biological setup is what she's after, though the more you know about what she wants to photograph the better an idea we can get of what you'll need.

At 500-1k you should be able to get something very good. You can usually get a lot more bang for your buck by buying used equipment, though that can be kind of intimidating for a newbie. Are you located in the US? I ask because it's way easier to find really nice used scopes here than most places.

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 am

Given your budget and desire for outstanding images, I'd second the recommendation for a used microscope if you and your wife are willing to deal with a bit of a learning curve.

You could get a lab quality Olympus or Nikon microscope - one that formerly sold for something like $4000 - for well under $1,000 including a trinocular head, high quality plan achromat objectives, and a system capable of being upgraded to very cool visual effects (polarization, phase contrast, oblique, darkfield, interference contrast, etc.).

Two specific models would be an Olympus BHS with a trinocular head and DPlan or SPlan objectives and a Nikon Optiphot 1 or 2 with a trinocular head and Nikon E Plan or better objectives. The Olympus may be a bit easier to find information on regarding how to set up a camera and the like. The "BHS" is the flagship of the Olympus "BH-2" line. The others in that series are also fine microscopes. The Olympus BH2 series was the largest selling professional microscope during it's decade plus on the market -- and there are many parts and options available on the used market. Indeed, many of these microscopes are still in professional use.

There are multiple other microscopes that will have better mechanical and optical quality than those new Chinese-made scopes listed, but I'd put Olympus BH2 series as the easiest in terms of the learning curve (more info online), then the Nikon Labophot/Optiphot, followed by various fine but-easier-for-the-beginner-to-go-astray Leitz (complicated history), Zeiss (issues with optical delamination), Reichert (not as many upgrades easily available) etc. models. The more precise mechanisms of a microscope built to a high standard will be useful for "focus stacking" and likely be a lifetime purchase. The better optics, just like better camera lenses, will allow higher quality and larger prints.

You could also consider a top of the line Chinese scope, but see if you can find one used. In other words, a $2000 scope at $800 or so. Microscopes don't wear out by looking through the objectives and one can often find something near new. What you'll lose with something like a higher end AccuScope, Omax, AmScope etc. (with infinity plan optics) is the expandability of a "system microscope" and the somewhat better mechanical quality of microscopes built for lab work.

If you happen to be in the Bay Area of California, could arrange for your wife to see what another artist is doing with a Nikon Labophot microscope costing under $500. Your wife might also want to view some of the images from posters here and on other forums to get an idea of what fantastic forms and colors (and life) lurk 10x - 100x -1000x below our everyday perceptions.

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 am

Just to add on the three Omax scopes posted.

1) Doubt your wife would be happy with the image quality of the built-in 3mp camera. Even the 10mp camera in the near-$1000 setup doesn't get great reviews all by itself.

2) Looks like most of these are equipped with regular achromat objectives. I believe you'll want plan (flat field) achromats, which typically run $200 or so more for a set.

Even the $980 scope seems to have these deficits, compared to something like a good used Olympus BHS/BH2 or Nikon Optiphot/Labophot scope costing $200 or so less (but not including a proper camera):

- regular achromat rather than plan achromat objectives
- 18mm field of view versus 20mm field of view
- less stable base for photography
- mediocre 1.25 na Abbe condenser
- less precise and durable focus mechanism
- very few options for upgrades
- likely loss of more than half its cost, in a resale and upgrade scenario, once you "drive it off the lot."

Not that some of the newest phone cameras, held steady in a cheap holder, can likely provide likely better photos than the Omax USB 10mp camera. A quality DSLR, which many artists might already have (?), even better.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:10 am

I wonder if Macro Photography rather than Photography through a microscope might suit better.

This link provides some useful guidance: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=12147
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:08 am

Nwkmf wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:25 pm
Hi All!

I’m hoping you all can help me out...

My wife wants to get a microscope that would allow her to take images of microscopic stuff (forgive me lay person verbiage? :-/), then blow it up to be painted and essentially turned into art. Can anyone recommend a microscope that would allow her to take high quality images that could be enlarged to print on much bigger canvases without too much distortion? […]
I might be tempted to skip the photographic steps, and go for direct projection to canvas
... if your wife is doing artwork, she presumably has the graphic skills.

MichaelG.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:52 pm

Nwkmf wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:25 pm
My wife wants to get a microscope that would allow her to take images of "microscopic stuff"
Looking back at the original post, I wonder if perhaps a more detailed description of what microscopic stuff actually entails may help us provide you with a better answer.

Talking about a better answer, in my experience surprise presents rarely work out well. Get your wife involved in the decision - she is the end user after all.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)