20x nikon plan apo infinite objectives on eBay for 100bux

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scarodactyl

20x nikon plan apo infinite objectives on eBay for 100bux

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Just in case someone with a Nikon infinite system (or one suitably compatible) hadn't seem, there are some amazing Nikon 20x/0.75 planapo objectives for sale on eBay for 100 bucks plus 10 shipping. These apparently come from an obsolete gene sequencer--some other gene sequencer objectives are similar but unbranded and corrected foe thicker cover glass, but these have normal branding and a standard 0.17 cover glass rating. I have been using one to look at tiny inclusions inside gems and been very impressed with its performance, with really exceptional resolution and color correction. This is a shot I took the day it came in.
That's with a really unconventional spec-pushing setup, I am sure in its native environment it would be insanely good. I have no idea what they originally cost but it sure wasn't a hundred bucks.

PeteM

Re: 20x nikon plan apo infinite objectives on eBay for 100bux

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:22 pm

I'll second that. These were a bargain at $160 a year or two ago. These objectives are good enough to go out of your way to get a stand for just the 20x. They'll also fit a Leica DMLS and the head corrections in these older Leica scopes are near enough neutral to satisfy most (or at least me). Also easy to buy an older Nikon infinity head (the ones for wafer scopes can be affordable) and adapt it.

Hard to find anything comparable under $1000, even used, in Olympus etc. It's a $2000+ objective. What's stopping people is the extra length and the 25mm thread. But the 200x mag you'll end up with is perfect for things like plant cells. The numerical aperture is large enough to support 750x magnification in photography. The Nikons also have class-leading working distance and have proven (in my various attempts) to be forgiving in home brew DIC attempts.

These can also be adapted to something like an Olympus BX40 infinity scope (there's room to fit and the adjustable stage) but will be 15mm+ out of parfocal. Most anything that's infinity with the corrections in the objective, rather than the tube lens or eyepieces AND a movable stage with enough room to accommodate the extra length. Best to have it on a separate nosepiece on something like a BX40. I've also fitted this objective to a BHS that was converted to infinity by replacing the head.

Now if the gene sequencing folks will only use their VC dollars to build some machines with 10x and 40x Nikon Plan Apo DIC objectives . . . .

timothyo

#3 Post by timothyo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:39 pm

So I recently got one for a bargin price - now what is a good stand to use it with? I already have a Nikon Optiphot-2, but this is for 160mm objectives only.

I was thinking of the Leica DMLS, since they seem to be reasonably priced compared with the Eclipse.

Is it worth going down the path of modding the optiphot?

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:17 pm

The DMLS is a good choice. It's in the same league as a Nikon E400 and usually easier and cheaper to find.

To modify your Optiphot you'd want to acquire a Nikon Eclipse era trinocular head (assuming you want to take photos) - maybe $300-800 depending on patience and luck. Then machine an adapter to match the 48.5mm or so dovetail on the Optiphot to the 51.5mm or so dovetail on a Nikon infinity head. Best way to do this is buy a $200-$250 or so Nikon intermediate simple polarizer (you want that anyhow) and machine it. Simple job for someone with a well equipped lathe. And then find a Nikon nosepiece ($100) for 25mm threads (pretty sure they made them) or use adapter.

Each time you wanted to use the 20x, you'd need to change heads. For about the same price as doing the modifications, you could just buy a DMLS and have a second infinity scope. Assuming it's in good shape, the main drawback to a DMLS is that it will come with 45mm parfocal objectives. The Nikons will be 60mm -- so the best situation is all Nikon infinity objectives (the regular plan are sometimes affordable) with your once $3000 Nikon 20x Plan Apo.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info - right now I have 3 DMLS scopes along with a Nikon E600 and two of those Nikon 20x (one on a DMLS, one on the E600).
Last edited by PeteM on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saul

#5 Post by Saul » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:22 pm

timothyo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:39 pm
So I recently got one for a bargin price - now what is a good stand to use it with? I already have a Nikon Optiphot-2, but this is for 160mm objectives only...Is it worth going down the path of modding the optiphot?
My approach (with 125mm TL. Other setups - https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 603#246603) :
Attachments
IMG_0959-PM-Ass rev.jpg
IMG_0959-PM-Ass rev.jpg (99.94 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
IMG_0956_PM-TL.jpg
IMG_0956_PM-TL.jpg (51.49 KiB) Viewed 5970 times

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Saul, Nicely done. Curious what your source was for the 200mm tubelens. Nikon? Edmund? Or?? And is the head a modified finite Nikon??

Do you end up using this as pretty much a dedicated 20x scope (given the high na it's pretty versatile for photos)? Or frequently swap it back to a finite configuration?

Saul

#7 Post by Saul » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:10 pm

PeteM wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm
Saul, Nicely done. Curious what your source was for the 200mm tubelens. Nikon? Edmund? Or?? And is the head a modified finite Nikon??
Thanks Pete !
This TL is 125mm & source was SurplusShed. I have an option for 200mm (ITL200) https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 632#236632
Or link in my post above with Sigma LSA. Forgot one more TL, Reichert, which is great also.
Do you end up using this as pretty much a dedicated 20x scope (given the high na it's pretty versatile for photos)? Or frequently swap it back to a finite configuration?
No, I can go to the different configurations within seconds, swapping between 26mm /RMS etc turrets and single adapters with objectives. Microscope is standard Optiphot, pimped with different stuff - this infinity adaptation, LED/flash illuminator, condenser insert

Marco68

#8 Post by Marco68 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:42 pm

PeteM wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:22 pm
I'll second that. These were a bargain at $160 a year or two ago. These objectives are good enough to go out of your way to get a stand for just the 20x. They'll also fit a Leica DMLS and the head corrections in these older Leica scopes are near enough neutral to satisfy most (or at least me). Also easy to buy an older Nikon infinity head (the ones for wafer scopes can be affordable) and adapt it.

Hi Pete,

Do you suggest that i would feel the difference versus my C Plan Leica objectives on my Leica DMLS (5,20,40x) ...hopefully on the way to my home? I need to pay an extra 50$ for shipment and custom duties to Italy, but the price is amazing ! I wish they could have sell also a 100x 😂
Marco from Italy/Torino
Leica DMLS microscope with 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:21 pm

Marco -

You'd notice the difference. The Leica C Plan is a good objective, but only plan to around 18mm and only partially chromatically corrected. The Nikon 20x Plan Apo has a huge plan field and fully corrected for color within the objective. I wouldn't suggest it for casual viewing, since you have the difficulty of dealing with a wildly non-parfocal objective (the Nikon 20x Apo is 15mm longer).

I do think you'd like it for digital photography. With a .75 numerical aperture you could blow up a nominal 200x image to effectively 700x or so and still find it sharp. The Leica trinocular head tubelens isn't perfectly matched (same reference tube length as Nikon, but maybe not entirely neutral) but still good enough to see advantages with this objective. You could also just fit a tube lens and camera adapter for live viewing and photo taking and essentially convert your DMLS to a Nikon CFI infinity scope.

Another nice thing about the 20x Nikon is that it seems pretty forgiving in home-brew DIC setups.

microb

#10 Post by microb » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 pm

Speaking of the Nikon Plan APO 20x, this guy used the VC version for UV spectrum to zap images into glass:

https://youtu.be/_w0Z2Y5vaAQ?t=315

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:51 am

The leica infinite scopes won't give 100% perfect reaults because the Nikon 20x is fully corrected and all the Leica infinites do aome degree of corrections in the head. Probably not so much that it won't perform very well though.

One thing to look out for are ADE phase shift heads. These are Nikon oem infinite heads though with a 23mm eyepiece tube. Sometimes available inexpensively and easy to convert to direct projection onto aps c.