What about a Zeiss Axiostar ?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Marco68

What about a Zeiss Axiostar ?

#1 Post by Marco68 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:48 pm

Keep searching :roll: what about this one ? Zeiss Axiostar
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... ocOkeMCiSr
10x/20 eyepieces and 5 objectives, including neofuar 40x (does it really make the difference?)
Only regret..it is binocular.
Marco from Italy/Torino
Leica DMLS microscope with 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x

75RR

Re: What about a Zeiss Axiostar ?

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:49 pm

I would suggest a little patience (that is how the best deals are found) and that you concentrate on finite systems.

Prices are significantly lower and the difference between it and infinity systems quite subtle.

It is not just about the initial purchase, the cost of future upgrades has to be taken into account.

As to the microscope you linked to - have you looked into the price of a trinocular head for it?

How about Phase?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi Marco,
these newer instruments only have an advantage over older models when you have every accessory you need and you are not restricted to one of the basic lines of objectives. Parts for these newer models are much more expensive ans comparatively rare. To get a trino head you would probably have to buy a second microscope. And they are already old too. We have two of them in our instrument park for the group meetings and they suffer to a similar extend from little problems, light doesn't work, stage gummed up...
BTW: So far I never found the time to connect a camera to a trino port of a microscope. I have a camera attatched to an eyepiece and make do with this. Not th emost comfort but very flexible.

Bob

Marco68

#4 Post by Marco68 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:09 am

[quote=75RR post_id=74516 time=1579981779 user_id=51

As to the microscope you linked to - have you looked into the price of a trinocular head for it?

How about Phase?
[/quote]

Hi, thanks for reply,

I have adked Zeiss about the trinocular head but i doubt to get any answer. In ebay there is one for Axio, but i have no idea if it is compatible with Axiostar (nor does the seller):

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Zeiss-Trinocula ... cvip-panel

Phase ...i am not advanced microscope user. I have no real idea of what is it for. (The seller of the Axiostar proposed me a condenser for phase contrast for 150 euro extra)
Marco from Italy/Torino

Marco68

#5 Post by Marco68 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 am

MicroBob wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:28 pm
Hi Marco,
these newer instruments only have an advantage over older models when you have every accessory you need and you are not restricted to one of the basic lines of objectives. Parts for these newer models are much more expensive ans comparatively rare. To get a trino head you would probably have to buy a second microscope. And they are already old too. We have two of them in our instrument park for the group meetings and they suffer to a similar extend from little problems, light doesn't work, stage gummed up...
BTW: So far I never found the time to connect a camera to a trino port of a microscope. I have a camera attatched to an eyepiece and make do with this. Not th emost comfort but very flexible.

Bob
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. I am aware a Leitz Labourlux is probably a solution that will last for ever..but the one i have been proposed (my previous post in the forum) has only achromatic lens, whike this Axiostar has 1 Fluorite 40x objective.
For what i read here below, fluorite objective makes really a difference :
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... romat.html

Can i ask what kind of eyepiece camera do you use ? I see there are many differeny version and i would like something for both pics and video in tehe price range of 100-200$
Something like the below ?
https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-MU300-Mi ... B004WAGOKY
Or
https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-MD500-Mi ... B00X6IGXEU
Not sure of the difference...

Thanks !
Marco from Italy/Torino

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 am

Not an eyepiece camera but a little Nikon 1J5 with camera cobjective connected to a Leitz eyepiece.
Attachments
Kamera-Adapter 40,5mm.jpg
Kamera-Adapter 40,5mm.jpg (225.48 KiB) Viewed 2887 times

Marco68

#7 Post by Marco68 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks..where to get an adaptor like this ? what would be the approx cost ? I have mirrorless Fuji, not too heavy, so probably i can mount on a binocular as well...
Marco from Italy/Torino

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:37 pm

First you need an eyepiece and a camera objective that harmonize. Then you would have to look for a machinist to have it made.