Frustration!

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
JGardner

Re: Frustration!

#61 Post by JGardner » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:41 pm

My new Orthoplan stand arrived today. It's much nicer than the stand of my original Orthoplan. This one's a "white" stand, which means it's one of the last ones made. The date stamp on the bottom of the stand indicates it was made in 1982.

Functionally, this stand is much nicer than the old one. The focus is as smooth as silk and the field iris is also smooth and operates with a light touch. There are no loose or detached parts. Cosmetically it's very nice too--not brand new, but no big scratches or dings either.

Next step is to transfer the components from my original stand over and give everything a try.

Question for Orthoplan experts: what's the best way to clean the rubber palm rests on both sides at the base of the stand?

Hobbyst46

#62 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:10 pm

Congratulations ! hopefully you will enjoy it right away.

JGardner

#63 Post by JGardner » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:09 am

I cleaned up the new stand and moved the parts over from my old Orthoplan stand and everything is working very well. It's nice to have a working field diaphragm and to have butter smooth focusing. Now I need to start hunting eBay for some objectives. It currently has a no-name 10x, a Leitz 32x and a Leitz 40x. The last two are 170mm.

Here's a picture after putting everything together. I did the work on the dining room table as the table in my lab isn't big enough to do a proper job of it.

Hobbyst46

#64 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:57 am

JGardner wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:09 am
I cleaned up the new stand and moved the parts over from my old Orthoplan stand and everything is working very well. It's nice to have a working field diaphragm and to have butter smooth focusing. Now I need to start hunting eBay for some objectives. It currently has a no-name 10x, a Leitz 32x and a Leitz 40x. The last two are 170mm.

Here's a picture after putting everything together. I did the work on the dining room table as the table in my lab isn't big enough to do a proper job of it.
All is well that ends well. Another hurray for used quality system microscopes. It is a beauty.

Rorschach

#65 Post by Rorschach » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:51 am

That's one nice looking scope! And a very good choice in general: very few scopes can match the the Orthoplan in terms of modularity and versatility.