Trinocular head , Phase contrast and darkfield for Nikon Alphaphot YS2-H ?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Hobbyst46

Trinocular head , Phase contrast and darkfield for Nikon Alphaphot YS2-H ?

#1 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Hello all,
I am running a pre-purchase evaluation of a binocular Nikon Alphaphot YS2-H, in a very good condition, for a friend.
This is really a basic school/student model, well built but lacking in other features. It has no Kohler illumination (a diffuser screen instead), and no field aperture. It has a basic condenser. the condenser carrier can be raised and lowered but not centered (no centration screws, anyway). There is no filter holder or slot in the carrier.
Yet, given the mechanical status, the price and the relatively humble ambitions of the user, I will deliver if it passes the tests.
In between, I thought about possible upgrades:
1. Trinocular head - the present head is a Seidentopf binocular;
2. Phase contrast condenser and objectives; actually I have never done PC without Kohler illumination but it might work, so-so;
3. Darkfield/oblique, at least for the 4X and 10X objective;

Would some of the Nikon experts comment on those wishes ? are they practical ?
Also, where can I find a brochure and operation manual for this model ?

Thanks in advance for opinions.

Scarodactyl

Re: Trinocular head , Phase contrast and darkfield for Nikon Alphaphot YS2-H ?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:10 pm

Alphaphots will take any head (and any accessories that go between the scope and head) in the labophot/optiphot series. I have a trinocular ultra widefield head, a polarizer and an optizoom on mine. It will also take the same objectives. It does take different condensers than other -phot scopes. Overall it's a pretty good platform to start on I think, and you can build up accessories for a later transfer to a labophot or optiphot.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:19 pm

A plus is that used trinocular heads seem both available and often reasonably priced for that era Nikon. The Alphaphot is a decent scope.

Unless it's truly a bargain, though, I'd spend a bit more for a Labophot. Checking the fine focus gear and the condenser pinion gear first. A $100 Alphaphot becomes maybe a $250 Alphaphot by the time you've added a trinocular head. $250 might get your friend directly into a Labophot with a trinocular head?? The Labophot will have a wider field of view, Kohler illumination, and may come with plan achro rather than achro objectives. If taking photos is part of your friend's plan, all that will be a plus.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:25 pm

I'd agree if you can go direct to a good labophot that's a good course of action. That said, a trinocular (or trinocular-able) head can be pretty cheap. For instance these teaching heads would need a dovetail adapter but you can put an aps-c dslr above that port for direct projection.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Binocula ... 3213400737
Or this one, which would also need a bit of adapting (but you want to take that top tube off anyway for use with an aps-C dslr).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Labophot ... 4075271449
Not 100% sure about either of those but I'd consider either one for my own use if I weren't already set.

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks a lot, Scarodactyl and PeteM , for the comments and info ! they help to set up my mind.
The local used microscope market is practically nil, aside from some warehouse old lab surplus re-sellers that seek profit. I am getting this Alphaphot on a special occasion at a decent price (not as low as in the USA though). Its small size is also a plus for my friend, I think it will be a starter scope indeed. Will see if she catches the hobby... then consider upgrades.

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:50 pm

UPDATE: Found out that the instruction manual for the Alphaphot is easily downloadable from the site manualslib.

Saul

#7 Post by Saul » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:19 am

"3. Darkfield/oblique, at least for the 4X and 10X objective;" - depending on your condenser - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264551006510

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:50 am

Saul wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:19 am
"3. Darkfield/oblique, at least for the 4X and 10X objective;" - depending on your condenser - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264551006510
Thanks for the link. Interesting solution.

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 am

Hi Doron,
nice to hear that you are about to lure someone into microscopy!

Bob