Quality?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Glot

Quality?

#1 Post by Glot » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:04 am

Does anyone know what sort of quality a Leitz Laborlux 11 is? I have found a pol for sale but not sure of the price. Hence, trying to get some idea what they are like. Second hand petrographic microscopes are almost non existant in Australia.
Last edited by Glot on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

apochronaut

Re: Quality?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:43 pm

Great when it is a great one and lousy when it is a lousy one.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:04 am

I think they're decent, based on experience with biological versions (similar Laborlux D,S,11, and 12). Generally well built and in the same discussion as Olympus BH2, Nikon Labophot, and Zeiss Standard. If it's a complete Pol scope then the somewhat greater difficulty sourcing parts (at least in the US) compared to, say, Olympus isn't an issue.

Don't know about any special requirements for a pol scope - quality of the stage, ease of centering, etc.

Some of the Leitz of this era had an unusual fine focus option where you'd drive it one way in coarse focus and then reverse for fine focus. That apparently bothers some people, but it seemed OK to me.

Other issue is the somewhat confused evolution of Leitz scopes mixing parfocal and tube lengths, condenser types, head dovetail sizes, different infinity corrections, etc. However with a complete scope, or just one or two commonly available but missing parts to source, that's also not an issue.

deBult

#4 Post by deBult » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Great source on pol scopes : http://earth2geologists.net/

Best, deBult