Zeiss microscope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
KD Arvidsson

Zeiss microscope

#1 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Zeiss.jpg
Zeiss.jpg (32.1 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
I found this Zeiss microscope used here in Sweden. Is that a good Zeiss? Can I upgrade to trinocular and phase contrast? I've started to look around for a better microscope. // KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

MicroBob

Re: Zeiss microscope

#2 Post by MicroBob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi,
this is a Zeiss Standard, probably model 14. The lamp might be missing. There is an ergonomical tube mounted - if you don't need it you can sell it. Phase contrast components and many other accessories are available without problem. Trino heads are available but not cheap. The Zeiss Standard has an especially bulletproof focus mechanism that rarely breaks. Like any other microscope it might perhaps need a maintenance job after all this time. Overall a very recommendable type of microscope. The Standard 16 and 18 would have 5 seat nosepieces which for me are more agreeable than 4 seat nosepieces.

Bob

KD Arvidsson

#3 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Thank you very much Bob for all information :D I have a Novel N-200M now and i am rather pleased with that microscope. I think it is very sharp but i want a microscope with trinocular head and phase contrast. I love this hobby and i want to learn more and more...And i love to film microorganisms :D //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:23 pm

Please note, there are several models of Zeiss Standard phase contrast condensers. Cat no 465277 is especially useful if you can find one - unless you want a 10X phase contrast objective, since that condenser has no phase ring for the 10X. Only for 16X and upper mags.

daruosha

#5 Post by daruosha » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:26 pm

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:47 pm
Thank you very much Bob for all information :D I have a Novel N-200M now and i am rather pleased with that microscope. I think it is very sharp but i want a microscope with trinocular head and phase contrast. I love this hobby and i want to learn more and more...And i love to film microorganisms :D //KD
Hi KD,

You can buy a trinocular head and a phase contrast kit for your microscope at not a jaw dropping cost. Personally I believe your videos are very nice, sharp and well illuminated. I'm pretty much a beginner, but I would save money for a real upgrade/big purchase like DIC and epi-fluorescence microscope. That's just my two cents.
Daruosh.

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Often it is more economical to wait for an offer that already includes most of the wanted bits. The same microscope with phase contrast components wouldn't be much more expensive. A model with trino tube wouldn't cost as much more as a trino would add when bought separately.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:20 pm

I found this Zeiss microscope used here in Sweden.
Are the import taxes and the shipping very expensive if you were to buy a microscope in another European country?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KD Arvidsson

#8 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi 75RR :D I dont think it is so expensive in another european country? I must check it up! but if i buy from example China it is rather expensive. //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:52 pm

In that case I am going to tempt you with a project Standard WL from England

Be warned that you will most probably have colour coordination problems as many of the newer parts are beige.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Zeis ... SwNmheXVKk

Hobbyst46

#10 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:28 pm

75RR wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:52 pm
In that case I am going to tempt you with a project Standard WL from England

Be warned that you will most probably have colour coordination problems as many of the newer parts are beige.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Zeis ... SwNmheXVKk
Only that they do not ship to Europe at this time...

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Only that they do not ship to Europe at this time...
I don't think this has anything to do with the pandemic.

This happens quite a lot. The English can be very insular. I contact them and explain that it is as simple as posting to Wales or Scotland, they usually come around.

KD Arvidsson

#12 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks 75RR! It is a very beautiful microscope but it is not shipped to Europe /Sweden. I look around and wait for right microscope and price. Hobbyst46 and Daruosh Thanks for advice and comments/information. I have answer you two before but that post disapear or i have posted it to wrong place? I have to search if i can find it :? And Bob thank again for your advice. Daruosh where can i find information on the webb for trinocular etc. for Novel N-200M? //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

daruosha

#13 Post by daruosha » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:51 pm

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:51 pm
Daruosh where can i find information on the webb for trinocular etc. for Novel N-200M?
Novel makes 3 types of (160mm tube length) trinocular heads. If you post a picture of the head dovetail, we can determine the correct part. I ordered mine for Novel N-180M from China (through a 3rd party dealer). I'll contact them and ask for the availability of trinocular head for your microscope.
I don't know the distribution network status of Novel Co. in Sweden, but worst case scenario I can buy it here from the same local dealer (they have all types in stock) and send it to Sweden.

I'll send you a PM later on.
Daruosh.

KD Arvidsson

#14 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 am

Hi Daruosh and thanks for this information :D I am curious what the price could be on trinocular head etc but i think i want to wait and buy some better microscope in the future. I want a better condenser and diaphragm also and better objectiv, but i will load up some photo on my head to you. I am very interested to se the cost :D //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

daruosha

#15 Post by daruosha » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:30 pm

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 am
Hi Daruosh and thanks for this information :D I am curious what the price could be on trinocular head etc but i think i want to wait and buy some better microscope in the future. I want a better condenser and diaphragm also and better objectiv, but i will load up some photo on my head to you. I am very interested to se the cost :D //KD
I paid 168 USD equivalent for N-180M trinocular head and sold my binocular head for somewhere around 90 USD equivalent.
By better condenser I assume you want an aplanatic condenser which is easily possible to upgrade.

Check out this likn as well. They have Novel Optics trinocular heads in stock.
https://bolioptics.com/microscope-parts ... ular-head/
Daruosh.

KD Arvidsson

#16 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:34 pm

Thank you very much for your help Daruosh! That link is very intresting! I have to think for a while how to proceed. //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.