Reichert phase contrast objectives?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Rorschach

Reichert phase contrast objectives?

#1 Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Did some digging in the various scope optics boxes and looks like I have a set of these. What is the consensus on Reichert phase contrast objectives? Are they keepers? These are infinity so will not work on my Orthoplan, though.

-Plan 10x/0,25 Ph infinity/- Reichert-Jung
-Plan Ph 40x/0,75 infinity/0,17 (the marking '40' is also in red lower on the barrel) Reichert
-Plan Oel Ph 100x/1,25 infinity/0,17 (the marking '100' is also in red lower on the barrel) Reichert

And a different one:
-S Pl 40/0,65 160/0,17 Reichert

apochronaut

Re: Reichert phase contrast objectives?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:14 pm

I use the 40X objective sometimes, and have used the 100X. Those are the specs. for Reichert infinity plan achromats in the 45mm parfocal series. The 40X .75 is a very good objective for a plan achromat.....as good as any. They can be used on the later Reichert lab scopes; Diavar 2 mostly and will also work on the Microstar IV and Diastar; or a Polyvar or Univar if there were no remote phase plates . On the American scopes they produce a slightly minus phase image, so the background tends to a little brownish but it is well resolved. They are also probably corrected well for Olympus infinity scopes or any Chinese ones with Olympus type infinity optics. How they would perform with the phase diaphragms fitted to those two systems , I could only guess about.

Rorschach

#3 Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info! Seems like they are worth holding on to. Of course, then I would have to make the decision to set up an infinite scope as well. Thus far the plan was to stick with the Orthoplan and use 160mm and 170mm tube length objectives on it. It seems to be such a wonderfully versatile and modular system.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:33 pm

where are you located? Europe?

Rorschach

#5 Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:58 am

Yes, Finland.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Although they are not common, you may be able to find a Diavar 2 that needs objectives, within a short distance in Europe.....or a Neovar 2, which might also be a candidate to match those objectives, if it could take a Diavar 2 head.( if the dovetail is the same). The telan lens is different for the two infinity systems that Reichert used, so in order to adapt a stand to the other objective system, one would have to switch over the telan lens too, which is usually situated in the base of the head.

https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index.php?topic=1613.0 This is a Neovar 2, which used the American Optical 34mm parfocal infinity corrected optical system.

I remember a poster on a European microscopy forum , who had just bought a Diavar 2. There was a fairly lengthy thread with some photos but I cannot now find it. The odd thing about the thread was that his microscope was marked Diavar. The Diavar and Diavar 2 look very similar, with the principal difference being the objectives and the telan lens in the head, yet his microscope had infinity optics. Possibly, earlier models were not marked with a 2. Either that , or the poster's microscope had the wrong objectives? Maybe that is why , he couldn't get it working well.

Here is some literature; one for each.
http://www.science-info.net/docs/reiche ... avar_2.pdf, which used the 45mm parfocal infinity optics, such as you have.
http://www.science-info.net/docs/reiche ... var_2C.pdf