olympus UPLANApo 100x 1.35 Oil Iris

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
coprinus

olympus UPLANApo 100x 1.35 Oil Iris

#1 Post by coprinus » Fri May 01, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi,

I have a possibility to buy this second hand objective but it looks damaged.
I cannot inspect it out of hand so I have to rely on the attached picture.

Apart from the scratches, it looks like there is some cover over the lens missing.
Normally when you see pictures of these objectives there is like black cover with a tiny opening

Do you think this objective is still functional?
Attachments
Uplanapo.jpg
Uplanapo.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

PeteM

Re: olympus UPLANApo 100x 1.35 Oil Iris

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri May 01, 2020 10:21 pm

Very hard to tell. On the downside, it's obviously had a hard life and been poorly cared for.

On the upside, I've seen high power objectives with scratches on the metal surrounds, but minimal scratches on the front lens -- and those filled in well enough with immersion oil to produce an acceptable image. It's surely worth a fraction of one in new condition and ideally from a seller who will take a return if you don't find it satisfactory.

Be nice if there were better images of the front and through through the objective.

There's also enough damage that there might be oil intrusion, which is beyond repair for most of us.

coprinus

Re: olympus UPLANApo 100x 1.35 Oil Iris

#3 Post by coprinus » Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 am

Hi,

What is the scope of repairs that can be done?

The scratches on the metal are a matter of esthetics but suppose that the coating on the lens has been eroded away, is there something that can be done about that?