Wild 10x/21c stereo eyepieces (something to look out for)

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scarodactyl

Wild 10x/21c stereo eyepieces (something to look out for)

#1 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Just a quick heads up. I recently turned up a pair of black, unmarked eyepieces in my stuff, and I didn't really remember where they came from. I had a vague idea they were from a Wild stereo and when I tested them they worked on one, but why would a genuine Wild be unmarked?
At first I thought they might be off an early Motic wild clone (their newer ones have 10x/23 eyepieces but the older ones were 10x/21) but the pair I have are different with 10x/21 stamped or engraved on at the top.
After a bit of googling, it turns out Wild made "10x 21c" eyepieces which were just marked with white paint which wears off easily (two eBay examples posted), unlike other Wilds with more permanent markings. Not sure what these were on originally, maybe a cheaper student stereo? They give as great a view as any Wild eyepiece though. It's also a bit funny since the 10x/21a and 10x/21b eyepieces are high-end focusable eyepieces seen on surgical scopes, the M10 and generally their most expensive wares, while this is marked in the cheapest way possible and they are not focusable.
The upshot is you can sometimes get genuine Wilds for unmarked eyepiece prices if you keep an eye out.
A couple photos from eBay showing the original and a pair that are almost worn clean.
They also made a version with a silver tube that looks a little different but is also basically identical.

MicroBob

Re: Wild 10x/21c stereo eyepieces (something to look out for)

#2 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 am

Attachments
Bob Likes.jpg
Bob Likes.jpg (117.74 KiB) Viewed 1119 times