Should I get this Olympus BHC?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
rmcnelly

Should I get this Olympus BHC?

#1 Post by rmcnelly » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:14 pm

Hello, I'm new to the hobby and just acquired a very lightly used AmScope T490B. I'm having fun with it but also stumbled across a listing for what appears to be an Olympus BHC for $40. The seller said it didn't light up, and they didn't know why. The scope looked complete in the photos, but very dusty. Sorry I don't have photos of it, but it is clearly a BHC model (looking at old Olympus brochures on the internet).

I'm becoming frustrated with the seller not responding to emails and I'm wondering if the scope is worth my time. I know it would be much higher quality scope with 5 objective lenses, but would the view through it be much of an improvement over what I already have? (provided the optics are free of fungus, etc).

$40 seems like a no brainer, but it hadn't sold for over a month - probably due to the sellers unreliable communications.

Thanks for any guidance.
—Rick

PeteM

Re: Should I get this Olympus BHC?

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:34 pm

If it has LB (long barrel) objectives -- something like DPlan -- it might be worth a try. Most versions will likely have the older short barrel objectives - which are good but not better than AmScope Plan Achro in my opinion (so also depends if you already have the Plan versions).

Otherwise you'll have paid $40 plus tax and shipping to have a spare scope that's likely less functional than the one you already have - especially if yours has the plan objectives. Different story, of course, if there's a kid or someone in the family who can put a second scope to use.

rmcnelly

#3 Post by rmcnelly » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Thanks,

My scope does not have the AmScope Plan Objectives but I’m considering ordering a 20 Plan as it would seem more useful to me than the 100.

I’m sure the BHC used the short barrel objectives, and wouldn’t think a base model would have Plan objectives. It’s a local seller so no tax or shipping, but I think my $40 would be better towards on a 20 Plan objective for my current scope.

Thanks for your input on this!
—Rick

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Rick, The generic import 20x plan objectives are pretty good - check around both Ebay and Amazon - they often come up new under $60 or so. It's a terrific magnification to have -- and a shame it's skipped over in some many scopes.

The BH series was transitional, so some of the scopes had long barrel objectives.

Given the lousy ad and lack of response, could well be the $40 scope has some issues. Your plan makes good sense.

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 pm

rmcnelly wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:08 pm
Thanks,

My scope does not have the AmScope Plan Objectives but I’m considering ordering a 20 Plan as it would seem more useful to me than the 100.

I’m sure the BHC used the short barrel objectives, and wouldn’t think a base model would have Plan objectives. It’s a local seller so no tax or shipping, but I think my $40 would be better towards on a 20 Plan objective for my current scope.

Thanks for your input on this!
Although the default objectives for the BH series are short barrel (SB), the distance between the turret and stage might perhaps allow the installation of long barrel (LB) objectives, like SPlan and DPlan. My thought is based on the fact that an even older scope - Olympus AH - could be fitted with either SB or LB. If the microscope comes from a local facility and you consider taking a look in it. Provided, of course, that all mechanical controls are smooth and sound. Also, a trinocular head, if present, would be a plus.
Note also, that the original internal lamp of the BHC is 15W only.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:24 pm

FWIW, I've bought BH series scopes that came with long barrel objectives. They fit OK. Olympus came up with the new LB objectives and BH2 series around the same time - not sure of the exact chronology; but several of the later BH scopes went out with Long Barrel objectives.

Perhaps the biggest optical differences (beyond the LB objectives) from BH to BH2 was the larger field size (20mm vs 18mm throughout) and the brighter lamp. Many parts will interchange.

deBult

#7 Post by deBult » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:25 pm

My understanding is the LB objectives require other eyepieces (color correction) as well.

rmcnelly

#8 Post by rmcnelly » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:55 pm

I appreciate all the good info here.

I think I’ll let the Oly go, and just focus on enjoying what I have.

20 Plan coming soon!
—Rick