Olympus objectives

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
david_b

Olympus objectives

#1 Post by david_b » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Other than price, what is the difference between Olympus PlanC N objectives and the Plan N objectives?

https://www.astroshop.eu/for-microscope ... ve/p,49915
https://www.astroshop.eu/for-microscope ... iv/p,49927

PeteM

Re: Olympus objectives

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Perhaps the addition of a neutral density filter in the higher priced series??

I vaguely recall the "Plan C" version started out covering a field of 20mm (?) and were meant mainly for entry level and educational use, the next step up a normal plan field of 22mm, and the UPlanFl N and UplanApo N up to about 26mm field. However, in your links the 40x Plan C also has a 22mm FN, so it remains a good question. Could be the more expensive versions are even better plan corrected from visible into the UV region??

Could also be (the "CY") that these N versions are the ones with neutral density filters in the lower magnifications to assure even brightness as you switch from magnification to magnification -- saves time and eyestrain in something like clinical use. By the time you hit 40x, you'd start wanting all the light you could get anyhow - unless most of the work was at 60x or 100x. In something like 4x or 10x - the ND filter avoids a bright flash.

"N" as in "UplanFl N" was initially used to distinguish the first version of UIS infinity objectives from the second version UIS2 (marked "N"), which claim a bit better coatings for use into the UV region.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:20 pm

As above - Plan is UIS1 and Plan N is UIS2 - a coating difference I believe.
I think the 'CN' designated those fitted to the CX range, the 'just N' for the BX series. I've compared both 'CN' and 'just N' on the same 'scope (BX40 and BX50) and there's absolutely no difference either by eyepiece of camera. These are all 22mm FN objectives.
John B

david_b

#4 Post by david_b » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:39 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:20 pm
As above - Plan is UIS1 and Plan N is UIS2 - a coating difference I believe.
I think the 'CN' designated those fitted to the CX range, the 'just N' for the BX series. I've compared both 'CN' and 'just N' on the same 'scope (BX40 and BX50) and there's absolutely no difference either by eyepiece of camera. These are all 22mm FN objectives.
Thank you. As the price difference is almost double, that must be some coating!