Bino issue with Olympus CH-2

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Krishan

Bino issue with Olympus CH-2

#1 Post by Krishan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi out there,

I have a serious issue with my old but beloved CH-2: Dropped it today, and it fell on the the left eyepiece holder with the diopter correction (thanks god oculars were not inserted). The holder broke off including the short aluminum tube that centered the holder in the correct position. I checked if I can glue it back, but something got off the optical axis. When I put it back flat I have double images with the image in the left eyepiece about 7 or 8 percent left from the right one. If I correct the left image by tilting the holder it is visibly crooked from it's normal position. Anything else seems to be alright. Also checked the prisms inside, but they have not come loose. Do you have any repair suggestions except buying a new bino head or sending it to Olympus service?

Best regards
Krishan

Zuul

Re: Bino issue with Olympus CH-2

#2 Post by Zuul » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:54 pm

The first step to getting the best possible advice is to post pictures of the damage. The more the better, and with as much detail as you can capture.

Element 56

#3 Post by Element 56 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:43 pm

You may want to consider a used binocular. I think you will find them priced very inexpensive and it sounds like yours is pretty bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Trinoc ... SwR55fB117

However, unless the seller is knowledgeable you wont know if a used binocular has collimation issues until you get it so pay attention to the return policy.

Let us know how you make out.

Kirby

Krishan

#4 Post by Krishan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi Kirby,

great tip, thank you. I would have taken the risk even at no return/refund policy and high shipping cost to Germany, where I live. But a closer look at images and description of this item shows that the top cover of the trino is dented and even cracked. Too many doubts that collimation is still okay with such a mechanical impact.

Regards
Krishan
Last edited by Krishan on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krishan

#5 Post by Krishan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi together, thank you for your answers. Looks like I have found a replacement at an affordable price here in Germany. By the way: Some users from a german forum told me this issue seems to be typical for that type of bino tube. The left ocular tube has turned out to be some kind of predetermined breaking point for Olympus tubes of that generation.

Best regards
Krishan

deBult

#6 Post by deBult » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Krishan,

I’m in Europe and have a mono ocular you might be interested in as an interim solution to bridge the gap till you have found a new bino/trino.

And if you find a new One I’m interersted in the bottom lens of your bino ;)

Beste, deBult

Krishan

#7 Post by Krishan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi deBult,

thank you for your offer. Currently it looks like I will get a replacement for my bino next week here in Germany. If not, I can send you the bottom lens as a "rent" for the mono tube if you tell me how to disassemble. Otherwise I would be happy selling it to you as a replacement part at an affordable price.

Best regards
Krishan

deBult

#8 Post by deBult » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:04 pm

You have a PM

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:20 pm

deBult wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:40 pm
Krishan,

I’m in Europe and have a mono ocular you might be interested in as an interim solution to bridge the gap till you have found a new bino/trino.

And if you find a new One I’m interersted in the bottom lens of your bino ;)

Beste, deBult
The CH2 is finite, and while there is a flat glass plate at the bottom of the head I do not think there is a lens there from looking at one I have handy.

deBult

#10 Post by deBult » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:15 pm

There is a relay glass plate at the bottom of the CH2 bino and mine is cracked.

Scarodactyl

#11 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:21 pm

I would have thought the main purpose would be to keep dust out, though I suppose it'd mess up the expected distance to remove it.

deBult

#12 Post by deBult » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Krishan wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm
. Otherwise I would be happy selling it to you as a replacement part at an affordable price.
Hope the new head works out ok.

Have been able to locate a spare Bottom relay lens with help of Carl.
Best, deBult