Cyclosis in the symbiotic ciliate Paramecium bursaria

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
tlansing

Cyclosis in the symbiotic ciliate Paramecium bursaria

#1 Post by tlansing » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 pm

I had an interesting afternoon of microscopy observing Paramecium bursaria. This ciliate has a symbiotic relationship with algae which pack the cell and this particular individual chose to sit still for a while so I could photograph and film it. I have first a portrait of the P. bursaria and then a video showing the cyclosis (cytoplasmic streaming) of the algae in the cell. This probably allows the algal cells a more uniform access to light for photosynthesis. This was quite beautiful to see. The cytostome, or cell mouth, can be seen as a clear, oval shape near the middle of the cell body.
Paramecium bursaria.jpg
Paramecium bursaria.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8InmDWppbPc

Zeiss Photomicroscope III, 40x Neofluar objective, 1.25x optovar, DIC (flash used in the photo)
Canon 1300D

KurtM

Re: Cyclosis in the symbiotic ciliate Paramecium bursaria

#2 Post by KurtM » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:00 am

Lovely documentation, and always fun to hear of an engrossing good time at the eyepieces. I have to say that the video reminded me of how I feel if I eat too much and go to bed too soon. I liked the cameo put in by Synura.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

woyjwjl

#3 Post by woyjwjl » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:39 am

Coverslips should limit movement... 40X should use a coverslip, right?
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

tlansing

#4 Post by tlansing » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:00 am

Thanks, Kurt. I had done some fresh collecting at one of my favorite places and was not disappointed. The sample also contained numerous Spirostomum but I will get to them later. There were also a large number of Synura with different numbers of individual cells comprising the colonies.

@woyjwjl: In this case, there was enough water under the coverslip for the protists to move around freely. The use of a coverslip is required for DIC.

Wes

#5 Post by Wes » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm

Nice find, in my experience spring is the best time to find Paramecium bursaria.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel