Amoeba eating diatoms

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Wes

Amoeba eating diatoms

#1 Post by Wes » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:09 pm

Found this in the local river after floating a coverslip on a water sample for a few days.

Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Microscopy_is_fun

Re: Amoeba eating diatoms

#2 Post by Microscopy_is_fun » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 pm

Impressive picture! It seems these amoeba like a "glass of chlorophyll". Despite being such a soft and squishy organism, they swallow their "protein shake" together with the glass container.

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:38 pm

Very interesting subject and a great image...

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:48 pm

Betting that amoeba won't return the fancy casserole dish when it's done eating, just leave it wherever and move on...

Nice find. I love when I stumble upon random events that almost certainly happen regularly, but I rarely see.

Javier

#5 Post by Javier » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:55 pm

Amazing!

tlansing

#6 Post by tlansing » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:50 am

Nice picture, Wes! I see that this amoeba also has many nuclei. How do you fish the coverslips from the surface of the water? I have tried using a coverslip forceps but I seem to end up with one corner or edge getting immersed.

Tim

Wes

#7 Post by Wes » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the interest and comments!
tlansing wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:50 am
How do you fish the coverslips from the surface of the water? I have tried using a coverslip forceps but I seem to end up with one corner or edge getting immersed.
Hi Tim,
What works well in my hands are fine point tweezers with a bent tip (I do the bending). A very small contact area between the tweezers and the coverslip helps to reduce the pressure that may results in coverslip immersion as is the case with regular coverslip forceps. Below is an image of the tweezers that I use with a pen for size comparison.

Youtube channel

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:57 pm

Beautiful image, thank you Wes. Thank you for the forceps technique tip.

My sense of this still image, is that the amoeba is moving to topleft...and is actually going to leave these frustules behind in short order. Beautiful image. thanks, charlie g

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:46 pm

Wes, I'm hoping to see you come across the hyphenated version: amoeba-eating diatoms. :|

Wes

#10 Post by Wes » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:57 pm

charlie g wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:57 pm
Beautiful image, thank you Wes. Thank you for the forceps technique tip.

My sense of this still image, is that the amoeba is moving to topleft...and is actually going to leave these frustules behind in short order. Beautiful image. thanks, charlie g
Thanks Charlie. The amoeba had long axopodia but very quickly after it came in my field of view it retracted and seemed somewhat in a hurry to discard the frustules. I suspect there is a light-sensitive component to its behavior.
PeteM wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:46 pm
Wes, I'm hoping to see you come across the hyphenated version: amoeba-eating diatoms. :|
Amoebophagic diatomaceae that would be quite the discovery. I did, however, observe fungal-like parasites of diatoms most likely from the phylum Chytridomycota. They penetrate the frustule with fine rhizoids and convert the nutritious contents of the diatom into motile zoospores (these apparently play an important role in the transfer of nutrients from diatoms to things like Daphnia and other forms of zooplankton that feed on the energy rich chytrid zoospores).
Youtube channel