tree top tardigrades, and a wagon full of water bears

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
charlie g

tree top tardigrades, and a wagon full of water bears

#1 Post by charlie g » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:18 am

Happy Halloween to all, I have a huge Black Walnut tree in a meadow..the heavy and huge lower limbs make me cringe each time I mow grasses under this assortment of heavy ( and old!) lower limbs.

Paying high cost..I had an arborist with a 'cherry-picker' truck, remove these huge limbs. I could not gain traction on sale of the large girth black-walnut limbs...so I am forced to chunk this walnut for winter fire-wood ( Black Walnut a fair to medium fire wood).

Just as our apple trees host large encrustations of lichens, this huge and 100-plus year old Black Walnut tree hosts rich coatings of mosses and fungi on most of it's limbs. This tree is in a meadow..not sheltered for moisture on it's limbs in a collection of tree canopies...I wonder how and why these dense felt coatings of mosses thrive on this tree..and not on adjacent maple-trees?

Today I tricked our good-doggie into fancy of why we are collecting a wagon full of water-bears, I suggested; 'Todays the day the water-bears have their picnic' ( I lifted that theme from some childrens song about: 'the teddie-bears picnic'.).

Please visit and enjoy this microscopy of 'tree-top tardigrades'...communities of moss/lichens over thirty feet above meadow...of course the red-squirrels , and birds, and insects constantly interact with this unique community. But I wonder why adjacent maple trees never host thick adornment with mosses and fungie ( as does this huge Black Walnut tree).
Attachments
DSCN1906.JPG
DSCN1906.JPG (22.31 KiB) Viewed 638 times

charlie g

Re: tree top tardigrades, and a wagon full of water bears

#2 Post by charlie g » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:27 am

Using bottled spring water, I flooded shavings off tree limb moss coatings. After four hours outdoor ambient temperature , I placed the flooded shavings at my microscopy bench,
Attachments
015.JPG
015.JPG (314.29 KiB) Viewed 635 times
009.JPG
009.JPG (96.97 KiB) Viewed 635 times

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:48 am

Simple isolation technique for a target organism: elongated water drop on a slide..scan with 4X objective...quick 'slurp' with a pipet of region where a target organism is observed...transfer this sample to a second slide for wet-mount/ coverslip observations.

For me, the curious finding of a large 'water bear', with a much smaller water-bear ...both with same anterior 'snout'...yet the smaller water bear with no internal pigments...where as the larger tardigrade has pigments within it's body...is the tiny 'bear' new born?
Attachments
136.JPG
136.JPG (80.66 KiB) Viewed 624 times
118.JPG
118.JPG (65.26 KiB) Viewed 624 times
196.JPG
196.JPG (129.08 KiB) Viewed 624 times

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:01 am

I wonder if this ' pigment free', and tiny tardigrade , is a new offspring of the much larger water bear?

Again, happy halloween, thanks for visiting finger-lakes/ U S , for this 'bear hunt'. charlie guevara
Attachments
099.JPG
099.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 623 times
096.JPG
096.JPG (47.43 KiB) Viewed 623 times
097.JPG
097.JPG (47.36 KiB) Viewed 623 times