Trichodina, an ectoparasitic ciliate on a snail

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
tlansing

Trichodina, an ectoparasitic ciliate on a snail

#1 Post by tlansing » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:48 pm

I recently observed a swarm of Trichodina (possibly T. pediculus) which were ectoparasitic ciliates on a small aquatic snail. These are really interesting to see, with the ring of cilia around the aboral surface of the cell and the denticles in the center as shown in the photo below. This individual had been separated from the snail so it could be viewed in more detail.
Trichodina_1.jpg
Trichodina_1.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 818 times
In the center of the cell, the c-shaped macronucleus can be seen, as shown in the photo below.
Trichodina_2.jpg
Trichodina_2.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 818 times
I am also attaching a couple of videos of this interesting ciliate. In the first one, I focused through the cell body of the Trichodina from the aboral surface with its wreath of cilia and the denticle through the macronucleus and contractile vacuole and to the top of the cell body.

The second video shows an individual feeding on the snail. The rapidly beating cilia of the aboral surface and denticles can be seen. The macronucleus in the middle of the cell is also visible.

The last video shows a number of individuals that are feeding on the snail. Although it is a little out of focus, I like it because it shows the shape of the Trichodina, one of which appears to be in division, and their rapid movement.

Pictures taken with a Canon 1300D on a Zeiss Photomicroscope III. The objective was a 40x Neofluar, optovar at 1.25x, DIC. The photos were taken with flash.

Tim

WWWW

Re: Trichodina, an ectoparasitic ciliate on a snail

#2 Post by WWWW » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:57 pm

Beautiful videos, very sharp en colourful.

I found this one on Hydra.

macnmotion

#3 Post by macnmotion » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:17 pm

Great looking ciliate and very nice imaging.

Francisco

#4 Post by Francisco » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:59 pm

Very nice.