Rotifer Euchlanis -**Correction Lepadella**

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
rnabholz

Rotifer Euchlanis -**Correction Lepadella**

#1 Post by rnabholz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:07 pm

From a pond sample.

AO One Ten, 40x Plan Achro, afocal using a Nexus 6 phone.

Last edited by rnabholz on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

Re: Rotifer Euchlanis

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Nice video. Structure clearly visible.

Have you considered getting a camera that does not ring! ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

actinophrys

#3 Post by actinophrys » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 pm

This is a nice detailed video. It isn't actually a Euchlanis, though, but rather a Lepadella. They have been mislabeled enough times on-line that it's easy to be misled, an unfortunately self-perpetuating problem, but are fairly easy to tell apart once you know the difference:
  • In Lepadella the foot is inserted into a distinct notch on the underside of the lorica. It's relatively thin and flexible, with marked rings and short toes. They also have two eyes toward the sides of the head, which are subtle but you can see at times here.
  • In Euchlanis the lorica is separated into dorsal and ventral plates with a gap, and the foot emerges from between them. It has a more tapered shape with prominent toes, and it seems can't curve forward like you see here. There's only one eye in the centre of the head.
In case it might be useful, some pages that show the difference are lukem's sketches, the zooplankton key from UNH, and Shiel's guide to Australian species (plus hopefully my own page). Despite the similar over-all shape, they're actually from different families, although it would be an exaggeration to say the relationships are really understood.

KurtM

#4 Post by KurtM » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:17 am

75RR wrote:Have you considered getting a camera that does not ring! ;)
If my camera captured images like Rod's, I wouldn't care if it gonged. :lol:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:36 am

Nice video. Very nice, but I must admit, nowhere near the exceptional beauty of your Stentor DF video :) .

rnabholz

#6 Post by rnabholz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:50 am

actinophrys wrote:This is a nice detailed video. It isn't actually a Euchlanis, though, but rather a Lepadella. They have been mislabeled enough times on-line that it's easy to be misled, an unfortunately self-perpetuating problem, but are fairly easy to tell apart once you know the difference:
  • In Lepadella the foot is inserted into a distinct notch on the underside of the lorica. It's relatively thin and flexible, with marked rings and short toes. They also have two eyes toward the sides of the head, which are subtle but you can see at times here.
  • In Euchlanis the lorica is separated into dorsal and ventral plates with a gap, and the foot emerges from between them. It has a more tapered shape with prominent toes, and it seems can't curve forward like you see here. There's only one eye in the centre of the head.
In case it might be useful, some pages that show the difference are lukem's sketches, the zooplankton key from UNH, and Shiel's guide to Australian species (plus hopefully my own page). Despite the similar over-all shape, they're actually from different families, although it would be an exaggeration to say the relationships are really understood.
Thank You Actino.

I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me on these. I am still struggling to find a definitive resource for ID, so I make a concerted effort, put my conclusion up and hope that good natured people like you will save me from embarrassment! I think I was a GoogleVictim on this one. My books were not too helpful so I turned to the Big G.

I will investigate the references you provide above and bookmark them for future use.

Thanks again,

Rod
Last edited by rnabholz on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rnabholz

#7 Post by rnabholz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:03 am

75RR wrote:Nice video. Structure clearly visible.

Have you considered getting a camera that does not ring! ;)
Hey 75,

I got lots of cameras....too many, but none beat this dang phone so far.

I know you were just funnin' me but these are the cool parts.

1. 13 megapixel sensor - slightly reduced if I zoom as it is totally digital, no room for moving lens elements
2. Full 1080p HD Video
3. HDR capable - High Dynamic Range which basically extends the dynamic range the sensor can capture to avoid blow outs of the brights and blocking up of the blacks- really useful for this pursuit - especially dark field
4. Relatively lightweight -really nice for afocal use
5. 6" full HD screen for monitoring focus and exposure and even tracking a moving subjects.
6. Wifi Capable- I can dump all of the images from the session off the phone to my home network 3TB storage device without ever touching a memory card.

I owned it before I got started with Microscopy and it has turned out to be a great tool.

But the number one reason it beats a camera - I can read MicrobeHunter.com on it!

Rod

rnabholz

#8 Post by rnabholz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:06 am

KurtM wrote:
75RR wrote:Have you considered getting a camera that does not ring! ;)
If my camera captured images like Rod's, I wouldn't care if it gonged. :lol:
Hey Kurt - I can make it gong, beep, siren, chime, belch, trumpet, whoosh, play bluegrass, scream, boom, ding dong, shave and a haircut, wolf whistle..........

rnabholz

#9 Post by rnabholz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:07 am

gekko wrote:Nice video. Very nice, but I must admit, nowhere near the exceptional beauty of your Stentor DF video :) .
Alright Gekko - I am going back to the lab and I will get out the dark field filter and scan a couple of slides. I'll see what I can do ;^)

kit1980

Re: Rotifer Euchlanis -**Correction Lepadella**

#10 Post by kit1980 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:10 am

rnabholz wrote:From a pond sample.

AO One Ten, 40x Plan Achro, afocal using a Nexus 6 phone.
Do you use an adapter or tripod to position the phone?

I have a Nexus 5X and after watching your video video I'm thinking it could outperform ToupTek UCMOS14000KPA TP614000A I currently use.
Omax microscope with Nikon CF objectives
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera
http://sdymphoto.com/

Johann

Re: Rotifer Euchlanis -**Correction Lepadella**

#11 Post by Johann » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 am

Great video Rod - I agree, nothing beats the phone camera for convenience ;)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel