Daffodil Leaf Section

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
JimT

Daffodil Leaf Section

#1 Post by JimT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Transverse section (TS) of a daffodil leaf with the 20X and 40X obj's.showing the palisade epidermis, mesophyll, and what I think might be two stomata.

mrsonchus

Re: Daffodil Leaf Section

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 am

Wow Jim!
A superb pair of images that really emphasize the structure as you say of the tissue. The thick cuticle is beautifully 'plump' in the live section, as is the transparent (to allow the efficient passage of light through to the chlorophyll of the palisade mesophyll below it) epidermal layer of almost cuboid cells.
The chloroplasts are clearly shown also to be lining the cells rather than 'filling' them as it were. It would be interesting to see the difference if possible between the sections of a leaf taken (very quickly to the 'scope) in bright direct sunlight and one taken on a dark/cloudy day - the very bright leaf should have it's chloroplasts in a different position to those of the leaf in dull/dark conditions....

Yes, those are definitely stomates in the epidermis too my friend.

Give us more Jim! :D :D :)
John B

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Thank you John. Good idea about a cloudy day comparison.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Excellent work (sectioning and imaging) as usual!

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Great clarity and sharpness... Thanks for sharing..

BillT

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks Gekko and Bill. It's John B's fault for encouraging me :)

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:45 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Wow Jim!
A superb pair of images that really emphasize the structure as you say of the tissue. The thick cuticle is beautifully 'plump' in the live section, as is the transparent (to allow the efficient passage of light through to the chlorophyll of the palisade mesophyll below it) epidermal layer of almost cuboid cells.
The chloroplasts are clearly shown also to be lining the cells rather than 'filling' them as it were. It would be interesting to see the difference if possible between the sections of a leaf taken (very quickly to the 'scope) in bright direct sunlight and one taken on a dark/cloudy day - the very bright leaf should have it's chloroplasts in a different position to those of the leaf in dull/dark conditions....

Yes, those are definitely stomates in the epidermis too my friend.

Give us more Jim! :D :D :)
I think you have a good idea here, John B.... I would like to see the difference it would make myself...

BillT