Article about Crystals in Polarized light and by DIC

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
RobBerdan

Article about Crystals in Polarized light and by DIC

#1 Post by RobBerdan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 am

Dear microscopists - in an earlier post I mentioned I was working on an article for my web site about crystals in polarized light and by DIC. I have photographed, Vitamins, beer, alcohol, drugs and even human tears. I share my methods I used to produce the crystals which I hope will be of interest to all photomicrographers. Vitamin C and Citric are my favorites but I tested a wide range of other chemicals and I am still testing more. I am attaching a few pictures below and hope readers here find something of interest. Beer, sports drinks and alcohol have been challenging but I have finally had some success.

https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... light.html - my online article includes a link to Oliver Kim's excellent video on Vitamin C crystals, and research papers on crystallization you can download as a PDF if interested.

I am planing on following up this article with videos and time lapse movies of growing crystals in the future. The colours and patterns produced by crystals are truly amazing. I hope you find the article and pictures interesting.

The identity of the crystals and technique used in the photos below are provided in the online article.

Cheers
RB
Attachments
hockney_Panorama21024.jpg
hockney_Panorama21024.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
Dopamine_DSC_0119.jpg
Dopamine_DSC_0119.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
VitC_160_Panorama11024.jpg
VitC_160_Panorama11024.jpg (104.27 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
VitC_DSC_0106b1024.jpg
VitC_DSC_0106b1024.jpg (108.27 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
lysince_DSC_0063_1024.jpg
lysince_DSC_0063_1024.jpg (163.78 KiB) Viewed 5269 times

PeteM

Re: Article about Crystals in Polarized light and by DIC

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:47 am

Thanks!

wstenberg

#3 Post by wstenberg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:20 am

Very nice!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 am

Just to add, Rob, I forwarded your article to a colleague who thought it was "fantastic" and "inspirational."

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:34 am

Agree. Lovely images and very useful tips.

Have you considered including it (or a version of it) in Micscape magazine?

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... exmag.html

Link to editor (David Walker) is on the left column.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

billbillt

#6 Post by billbillt » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:22 pm

You should submit your writings to MicrobeHunter magazine...

BillT

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Rob - Just took to the time to read your article. It's terrific. Covers the whole gamut from tips for production to a large number of astounding images. I suspect a number of our young "Micronauts" will find it an inspiration.

RobBerdan

#8 Post by RobBerdan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Thank you for your kind comments. I submitted an article to Micscape a few months ago and it can be found here: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... ce-Art.pdf - its about Science & Art.

I am trying to promote microscopy in Canada and possibly start a microscopy club in Calgary if there is enough interest - there are no amateur microscopy clubs in Canada that I know of. I found a few websites where some folks are trying to promote more interest in the micro-world. I belong to the Microscopy users group at the University of Calgary - but it is made up of faculty, grad students and postdocs doing research. I think there should be a microscopy club in most major cities like there is for astronomy. We just need to show people how amazing things look through the microscope.

I think we all need to let others know about how interesting the microworld can be.
Cheers
Rob
Calgary, AB

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 pm

RobBerdan wrote: . . . I think we all need to let others know about how interesting the microworld can be.
Cheers
Rob
Calgary, AB

Agreed. I also tell folks something to the effect that the "next big thing" in science is likely to be too small for most folks to see. Years ago, the evidence and explanations of science were at our own scale, generally visible to our own eyes. These days the best explanations are at the level of atoms and particles, cells and genes, composites and nanoparticles, and so on. Even huge problems, say climate change, are likely to have their solutions in things like aerosols.

Once a kid takes the conceptual leap from 1x to 10x, then 10x to 100x and 1000x -- then he or she is better prepared to keep venturing. A combination of some amazing image (you've created many) and a bit of science to explain it seem a very powerful tool to engage curiosity and spur discovery.

KurtM

#10 Post by KurtM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:53 am

Thank you so much for all your generous contributions, Rob, including this latest. Your remarkable images really stand apart, and your behind-the-scenes reporting is hugely appreciated!

I hereby award you the coveted Uber Geek Emoticon, sir: :ugeek:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/