Spiral shaped bacteriae

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
janvangastel

Spiral shaped bacteriae

#1 Post by janvangastel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:20 pm

The spiral shaped bacteriae in this video are ~1 micron in diameter or even less. I measured them to be ~0.75 microns, but it's easy to make a measurement error of a few tenth of a micron. Inside the bacteriae, volutin grains are sometimes clearly visible as black spots. I don't know the name of these bacteriae. I found one video showing look alikes, but the maker of that video didn't know a name either.

DonSchaeffer

Re: Spiral shaped bacteriae

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 am

Interesting and complicated image--well shot.

mazo4033

#3 Post by mazo4033 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 am

A very nice video! All of your videos are always very interesting and well-captured. :D I only know of two spiral shaped bacteria, Spirochete spp. and Spirillum spp. So the bacteria you found are probably one of the two - the difference is in the cell wall, motility mechanisms, and I think size, although I'm not sure which one the bacteria you found are. Maybe Spirochete spp.? As for the actual species, that would probably only be determinable with genetic sequencing.

KD Arvidsson

#4 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:17 am

Very beautiful and sharp clip//KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

micro

#5 Post by micro » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:14 pm

mazo4033 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 am
A very nice video! All of your videos are always very interesting and well-captured. :D I only know of two spiral shaped bacteria, Spirochete spp. and Spirillum spp. So the bacteria you found are probably one of the two - the difference is in the cell wall, motility mechanisms, and I think size, although I'm not sure which one the bacteria you found are. Maybe Spirochete spp.? As for the actual species, that would probably only be determinable with genetic sequencing.
I was trying to look up the species. They are definitely spirochete's but I don't know the exact species. Spiral bacteria come in shapes of vibrio, spirillum, and spirochete. I tried my damnedest to google the species but I can't find much. You would think someone with a list of species would be front and center of google search results with a link to their paid book or whatever but nah.

janvangastel

#6 Post by janvangastel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks for the comments. And micro, thanks for the effort to find the species name.