Paramecium caudatum?

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
janvangastel

Paramecium caudatum?

#1 Post by janvangastel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:57 am

I think this is Paramecium caudatum, but I am not sure. The CV's of P. caudatum must have side channels and I do not see these in the ciliates I filmed. Best to look for it at the last part of the video,the oblique illumination part, that's also filmed at higher magnification and show more detail. At about second 50 a nice Coleps comes to visit. Length of the Paramecium is about 130 microns.

ImperatorRex

Re: Paramecium caudatum?

#2 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:43 am

Hello Jan,
nice video, looks like Paramecium but you will need higher n.A and less water between cover glass to view the details like Macro and Micronucleus that are further important criteria to classify. (P. Caudatium has one Micro and Marconucleus).
A bit small for P. caudatum, so could maybe also be a canditate would also be P. aurelias.

KD Arvidsson

#3 Post by KD Arvidsson » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:01 am

janvangastel wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:57 am
I think this is Paramecium caudatum, but I am not sure. The CV's of P. caudatum must have side channels and I do not see these in the ciliates I filmed. Best to look for it at the last part of the video,the oblique illumination part, that's also filmed at higher magnification and show more detail. At about second 50 a nice Coleps comes to visit. Length of the Paramecium is about 130 microns.

Woow absolute fantastic clip with extremely good quality :D
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

Bruce Taylor

#4 Post by Bruce Taylor » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Another lovely video! :)

Identifying Paramecium to species is difficult and rarely worth the trouble. There are dozens of valid species, and differences between them can be nearly impossible to detect in the light microscope. On the one hand, we have four well-known and reasonably easy-to-distinguish morphospecies: P. caudatum, P. putrinum, P. bursaria, and P. aurelia-complex. The last of those contains fifteen known biological species (!), and it is very likely that there is similar diversity hidden within each of the other well-known "species". In addition, we have fifteen or twenty other morphospecies, such as the stately Paramecium multimicronucleatum (difficult to distinguish from P. caudatum), and a handful of roughly cigar-shaped fellows like P. schewiakoffi and P. jenningsi (the latter of which has turned out to be a complex including at least 3 sibling species), and a cluster of "little guys" easily confused with P. putrinum (which has also turned out to be a complex!). The features that separate these "species" from one another can be extremely difficult to see without special techniques. If you want to try, there's a morphological key in this article: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/param ... rimination

In this case, we can rule out Paramecium caudatum because 1) the shape is wrong (the cell lacks the distinctive narrowing of the posterior typical of that morphospecies); and 2) the length you give is below the range for that species (as Jochen notes). So, the answer to the question in your thread title is: "nope". :D And that's as much as we can say, I think.

janvangastel

#5 Post by janvangastel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks all for the detailed, informative comments and for the compliments. I have changed the title of the video and left out 'caudatum'. When I wrote down the length I already suspected that 'caudatum' would be wrong.

Sabatini

#6 Post by Sabatini » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:07 am

Nice vídeo
Thanks you