Halteria, and how to annoy them.

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Mraster2

Halteria, and how to annoy them.

#1 Post by Mraster2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:20 pm

How to annoy a group of Halteria - trap them !

or, to announce in the Victorian style :

A bagatelle of Halteria
in which a possible avoidance mechanism is observed.

Bruce was kind enough to identify these charming little creatures for me. (so charming that I have elevated them to be my microPet #2, after rotifers @#1 :) )
Such frenetic things, I wondered why they would expend so much energy on the activity, what could be the evolutionary benefit? How to slow them to examine in more detail ?
Then, by chance, I found some trapped in a field of debris. Yes, it turns out that debris can be other than a hindrance upon occasion !
It looks like it may be a flight rather than a fight response to contact with "something else" ?

Humorous aside - One wonders why they have not read up upon Einstein's theory of relativity. They really ought to distinguish between contact with something with zero motion in their frame of reference, from something with a non-zero, positive relative motion ! :)

So here, for your amusement and delectation, a short amateurish movie during which they are photobombed by an even faster smaller critter (can enough be seen to hazard a guess as to what it might have been?) :
https://vimeo.com/446493134
Objective 20x projection to Canon 60D sensor. Group of three in the first minute with a brief slo-mo collision. Then the next 2 minutes are of just one critter, briefly normal speed then a long very slow slo-mo for the rest of it

MichaelG.

Re: Halteria, and how to annoy them.

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Superb !!

It reminds me of primitive ‘obstacle avoidance robots’ like this:
https://circuitdigest.com/microcontroll ... ding-robot

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Mraster2

Re: Halteria, and how to annoy them.

#3 Post by Mraster2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks.

Indeed ! Or even with a ZX81 :)

They say Armstrong et.al. got to the moon with less computing power than in a ZX81,

we know there are tardigrades on the moon ,
Now we know what [s]computers[/s] bio-engineering they used to get there :)