The best Camera for Photomicrography

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
RobBerdan

The best Camera for Photomicrography

#1 Post by RobBerdan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:05 am

I have posted an article on my web site where my son and I tested 4 different dedicated cameras for photomicrography 1) AMscope 3MP 2) Zeiss Axiocam 5MP 3) Moticam 5.5 MP and 4) Rising Cam 20 MP camera. We also tested 3 Cells phones a) Iphones 5s b) Samsung Galaxy IIIS and c) Google Pixel 3. These were compared with the Nikon D500 APSC DSLR camera and the Nikon DSLR D800 full frame camera. We also tested one Mirrorless camera the Canon G16 - 12 MP camera.

We show images taken with these cameras and we offer the full size unprocessed images to download and preview under the images. We also looked at various software programs that came with the cameras. Both Nikon and Leica offer 20 MP one inch sensor dedicated camera that each cost over $10,000 - Leica provided us with some full frame pictures and we are still waiting for Nikon to send us some which we will add to the article as soon as we get them. The good news is that Rising Cam offers a 20 MP one inch sony sensor camera that cost under $1000 and it performed as well as my DSLRs and perhaps even better - see picture of Diatom below - its available on Ebay for around $600 US. I plan to use this camera more in the future.

The article also touches on photomicrography over the past 50 years - I started taking pictures in 1970 with a Polaroid, and then 35 mm film. We hope this article answers some questions as to how many MP one needs to make prints - we show that 10 MP is the mininum for an 8 x 10 inch unless you only plan to post on the web or you are satisfied with small prints. There are numerous inks to other studies and videos. We feel that some cell phones are capable of taking good web pictures, but they don't fare well against a DSLR or dedicated camera. Still cell phone camera are valuable in education and telemedicine and any camera that gets students working with a microscope is good in our opinion.

We welcome any comments, corrections or additional information. We hope this article will help others get started in photomicrography and provide information about what the options and best solutions might be.

The article has just been posted on my web site at: https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... DSLRs.html - i hope readers will find something of value. We are not promoting any particular brand just want to show a comparison between a variety of cameras used to take photomicrographs and their benefits and limitations.

Cheers
RB
Attachments
Variety of DSLR adapters
Variety of DSLR adapters
Microscope_camera_adapters_1024.jpg (103.44 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
Diatoms taken with Nikon D800 and DIC microscope
Diatoms taken with Nikon D800 and DIC microscope
Diatoms_rberdan_1024.jpg (116.92 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
Vitamin C Crystals taken with a Google pixel 3
Vitamin C Crystals taken with a Google pixel 3
IMG_20200813_125041_1024.jpg (203.67 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
D800 vs D500 DSLR and the new Rising Cam
D800 vs D500 DSLR and the new Rising Cam
D800_D500_Rising_web_1024.jpg (145.33 KiB) Viewed 12158 times
My testing facility in my old Darkroom
My testing facility in my old Darkroom
microscopes_DSC0221_1024.jpg (221.34 KiB) Viewed 12158 times

FungusMan

Re: The best Camera for Photomicrography

#2 Post by FungusMan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:35 am

I skimmed and read parts of your long, well researched and exhaustive article. Well done and I was impressed by the effort and dedication and passion it involved. Also a huge thanks for putting this sterling work online. The accompanying pics (all captioned and credited) were wonderful.

I kinda hoped for a longer conclusion comparing the cameras under test (like magazine reviews you know!) and maybe one point to make is that you used rather old cell phones (2012 brands) in your test. I would have expected another comparison with the 2019-2020 iPhone, Samsung and say Huwaei models too.

The pic below is from an S10 handheld on eyepiece, cropped (c 1200 x 2000) which is not good for printing but does the job for digital documentation.

Again many thanks!!!
Attachments
Testimage5.jpg
Testimage5.jpg (181.59 KiB) Viewed 12144 times

Sir

#3 Post by Sir » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:40 am

Rob,

This is by far the most comprehensive camera comparison I've ever seen, while still being easily understood. Thank you for writing this. It is an incredibly useful resource for myself, and I'm sure for others.

You da man! :D

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:05 am

RobBerdan wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:05 am
... The good news is that Rising Cam offers a 20 MP one inch sony sensor camera that cost under $1000 and it performed as well as my DSLRs and perhaps even better - see picture of Diatom below - its available on Ebay for around $600 US. I plan to use this camera more in the future.
[…]
We welcome any comments, corrections or additional information. We hope this article will help others get started in photomicrography and provide information about what the options and best solutions might be.
Thanks for doing all the work, Rob ... It gives us a great bench-mark
I will read your report thoroughly; but the diatom picture prompts one immediate question:
Do those very substantial differences relate directly to the pixel-pitch of the three cameras ?

MichaelG.

Edit: and one more [courtesy of my good lady wife, who noticed this whilst I was busy looking at the colour artefacts :oops: ] ... Why is the ‘Rising’ image flipped ?
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:46 am

Pixel pitches:

Nikon D800 : 4.87 micron
https://www.digicamdb.com/specs/nikon_d800/

Nikon D500 : 4.2 micron
https://www.digicamdb.com/specs/nikon_d500/

SONY IMX183 : 2.4 micron
https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/produc ... oduct.html

... Food for thought :geek:

MichaelG.

P.S. __ With the greatest respect ...
I find it difficult to accept the conclusion [on your web-page] from the analysis of the comparative images
Above I photographed a Pinularia Diatom with a 63X Objective using DIC on my Zeiss Axioscope with the Nikon D800 full frame camera, Nikon D500 camera (both set to ISO 200) and the Rising Cam attached via a 0.63X Zeiss C- mount. You can download a 10 x 15 inch 300 dpi verson of this images.
[…]
The D500 camera and Rising Cam images appear slightly better than the D800 in quality. Both the D500 and Rising cam images appear similar in quality.
Last edited by MichaelG. on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks for the detailed presentation and the nice images!
I found the comparison among dedicated microscope cameras interesting, such comparisons are hard to find AFAIK.

May I add some comments and questions:

1. Citation: "The AM microscope camera ... is shown above with an eyepiece attached to it that inserts into an ocular, but the camera can connect directly to a C mount. All the cameras can use these eyepieces for insertion into an ocular tube." The eyepiece camera and a dedicated (Olympus) camera that I have seen and use are just a sensor, combined with a filter and some sort of reducing lens (~0.3X-1X). Is the cited "eyepiece" a reducing lens or is there a specific combination of AM camera and "true" ocular ?

2. The article mentions focusing with the camera LCD screen. IMHO, it is usually recommended to focus with the microscope knobs (provided the camera and viewing eyepieces parfocal), not the camera.

3. AFAIK, photo eyepieces and ordinary eyepieces are differently used in photomicrography. Are all shown DSLRs mounted with dedicated photo eyepieces from the same brands as the microscopes ?

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:41 am

Very well researched and implemented. Just curious why, in the tri comparison using a diatom , is there such a colour shift with the D 800?

RobBerdan

#8 Post by RobBerdan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Thanks for your comments I will try to address your questions

Questions

1. Citation: "The AM microscope camera ... is shown above with an eyepiece attached to it that inserts into an ocular, but the camera can connect directly to a C mount. All the cameras can use these eyepieces for insertion into an ocular tube." The eyepiece camera and a dedicated (Olympus) camera that I have seen and use are just a sensor, combined with a filter and some sort of reducing lens (~0.3X-1X). Is the cited "eyepiece" a reducing lens or is there a specific combination of AM camera and "true" ocular ?

All the dedicated cameras were tested by attaching them to a C mount, however they can be attached to various eyepieces that screw into the C mount - they are sold by AMscope and others for about $100. The advantage of the eyepieces is that they can be inserted into monocular and binocolur tubes - though I used a trinocular tube. I did test a few like the Zeiss and Axiocam with both a C mount and the c mount-eyepiece. Different sized sensors also require different C mounts that are optimized for them. And different size sensors require different magnification - C mount eyepieces. I purchased 3 eyepieces 1.0X, 0.5X and 0.39X. with the Zeiss the 1.0X only illuminated about 50% of the sensor whereas a 0.39X illuminated all the sensor - its important to match the C mount eyepiece to the sensor size, just like it is with a C mount that attaches directly to the camera.

2. The article mentions focusing with the camera LCD screen. IMHO, it is usually recommended to focus with the microscope knobs (provided the camera and viewing eyepieces parfocal), not the camera.

I did focus with the microscope controls coarse and fine, but I did this while I was watching the image in Live view on the computer screen rather then looking through the camera view finder which often has a focusing screen that is too coarse. In order to achieve critical focus on the monitor I often zoomed into the screen 10X focused carefully and then zoomed out and took the picture. It's not easy to focus on the screen because of the "LCD pixels". If exact focus is difficult I usually perform a focus stack which I often do with DIC because the depth of field is shallow. I also sometimes use a magnifying lens to examine the computer monitor while focusing, and dim the room lights also helps - we did this with the cell phones as well.

3. 3. AFAIK, photo eyepieces and ordinary eyepieces are differently used in photomicrography. Are all shown DSLRs mounted with dedicated photo eyepieces from the same brands as the microscopes ?

I used several scopes to test the cameras my main one was a Zeiss Axioscope which I have both a DSLR adapter and a C mount. I also used a Nikon Optiphot with DSLR adapter and a Nikon 2.5X NFK photo eyepiece. The Moticam was tested on a Moticam microscope with a Moticam C mount and I also used a Zeiss Stemi stereo microscope with a C mount trinocular port. The RisingCam, D500, D800 were all tested on the Zeiss Axioscope. So did I always match the same camera brand with microscope brand - no not at all - but it doesn't seem to matter.

4. Cell phones - we do mention that the newest Cell phone was the Google pixel 3 from 2018. The phones tested were ones used in our household. I did ask friends if any one had the newer Samsung or iPhones and read about other top cell phone cameras, but I couldn't afford to just buy a new phone for these tests - and because I use professional camera gear there is no incentive for me to do so. Phone cameras are getting better and there are even some with larger sensors that I am sure would be better, but I could not find any other reviews where they have been used - I do cite the use of some cell phones for research. I do believe cell phones are useful for education and telemedicine right now. We will have to wait to see how good they get in the future. Also I link to reviews on the latest cell phone cameras like DXO that show large pictures, but these are landscapes taken in bright daylight and don't necessarily reflect how good they might be for photomicrography.

RE- pixel pitch - I am aware of the different pixel pitches used, but the only significant difference I see is that bigger pixels are better for low light microscopy e.g. fluorescence - I own and have tested Nikon D700 12 MP, but other advances in the sensor and electronics make the D500 better and it has smaller pixels. Also my D500 appears to offer sharper pictures then the D800 36 MP though the latter permits greater enlargements. My testing is more empirical based on observations of the digital images. Image quality seems to depend on the electronics, noise reduction, sensor type CMOS seems better then CCD in my tests and backside illumination also seems to improve image quality. So the relationship with pixel size, pitch etc to produce the best image is complicated.

i did this because microscope sales people have been telling me for some time how much better the Dedicated cameras are than DSLRs in part to justify the high prices they charge i.e. over $10.000 - most microscope salespersons I have met have limited hands on use of the microscopes they sell and many have never taken a picture with the microscopes - there are exceptions of course. I happy when the salesperson doesn't know an answer if they contact professionals that do know and get back to me.

I hope this answers the questions raised, if not let me know. My overall goal is simply to promote microscopy and photomicrography - for younger folks that is where I think the cell phones can play an important role and maybe hook them on science and microscopy.

I love taking pictures with the microscope and will continue to try and keep up with new technologies that permit better pictures. I often sell pictures that are very large so
image resolution is important to me for making prints as art.

Thanks you for you comments & questions.
RB

RobBerdan

#9 Post by RobBerdan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:40 pm

RE - Diatom colour shift - that is my fault. I shoot RAW files and when I process the images I must have used a slightly different setting, or I may have twisted the DIC compensator slightly between taking the pictures which changes the background colour.

Sometimes I see colour fringing, not sure if it is due the objective (I use Zeiss Plan Acromats , not Apochromats usually due to their high price), or it might be due to the sensor. I sometime remove colour fringing with Photoshop as well as it offers chromatic abberation correction.

Cheers
Rob

KD Arvidsson

#10 Post by KD Arvidsson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Thanks Rob this article is very helpful, I have two cameras Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 14 mp camera I use with trinocular Labophot 2 microscope. I use HY2307 most of the time but when I have cleaned my sensor on GH4 I will use it as well. :D //KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

MichaelG.

#11 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 pm

RobBerdan wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:36 pm

RE- pixel pitch - I am aware of the different pixel pitches used, but the only significant difference I see is that bigger pixels are better for low light microscopy e.g. fluorescence - I own and have tested Nikon D700 12 MP, but other advances in the sensor and electronics make the D500 better and it has smaller pixels. Also my D500 appears to offer sharper pictures then the D800 36 MP though the latter permits greater enlargements. My testing is more empirical based on observations of the digital images. Image quality seems to depend on the electronics, noise reduction, sensor type CMOS seems better then CCD in my tests and backside illumination also seems to improve image quality. So the relationship with pixel size, pitch etc to produce the best image is complicated.

Apologies if I did not make my point clear, Rob

What I noticed was simply that the false colours are more pronounced in the sensors that have larger pixels.

Presumably this is related to Nyquist aliasing, and the camera with the finest pixel-pitch is giving the most accurate rendition because it comes closer to resolving the level of detail in the diatom.
Without your blue background DIC, the image would presumably be colourless if the specimen was perfectly resolved.

Thanks again for doing all this great work, and sharing the results
... It is sure to be be first ‘port of call’ for many interested in photomicrography.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#12 Post by PeteM » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:28 am

Fantastic resource - thank you!

Bruce Taylor

#13 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:03 pm

Great article, Rob! A real labor of love.

david_b

#14 Post by david_b » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:39 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:46 am
I find it difficult to accept the conclusion [on your web-page] from the analysis of the comparative images
Agreed, of the comparative diatom images, the Rising Sun shows much better sharpness and detail than both DSLR examples.

david_b

#15 Post by david_b » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:24 pm

david_b wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:39 pm
MichaelG. wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:46 am
Agreed, of the comparative diatom images, the Rising Sun shows much better sharpness and detail than both DSLR examples.
To follow up, I downloaded the full size images from Dr Berdan's site. Below are screen shots of the 3 diatoms opened in PS at 100% (actual pixels).

The Rising Sun image seems to have some unusual digital artifacts (diagonal lines). I'm not sure if this is the result of processing in the camera software, the sensor or some other reason, but it may explain the sharper appearance compared to the DSLR images. According to the website, the RS image was saved in TIF format, and these do not appear to be jpeg artifacts. All three images are quite noisy.

Image Image Image

MichaelG.

#16 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:07 pm

David,

Sorry to be a pest, but may I suggest that, for clarity, you identify the three images in your post
... They appear to be in reverse order compared to those on the web page.

MichaelG.

P.S. __ I think you might find this interesting:
https://www.imatest.com/docs/nyquist-aliasing/
Too many 'projects'

david_b

#17 Post by david_b » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:07 pm
David,

Sorry to be a pest, but may I suggest that, for clarity, you identify the three images in your post
... They appear to be in reverse order compared to those on the web page.

MichaelG.
L to R
Rising Sun
D500
D800

The artifacts in the RS example do appear to be jagged diagonal lines as described. Is the article saying that the lens (presumably a photo eyepiece in this case) is too sharp for the 1" sensor?

MichaelG.

#18 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:31 pm

david_b wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 pm
The artifacts in the RS example do appear to be jagged diagonal lines as described. Is the article saying that the lens (presumably a photo eyepiece in this case) is too sharp for the 1" sensor?
Yes, I think that’s effectively what they are saying, although it’s perhaps an unusual way of putting it.
Perhaps better to say that the pixel-pitch of the sensor can’t handle the information coming from the lens.
... ‘lens’ in our case being the whole microscope ...
The important bit [again, I think] is that the Rising Sun is good enough for this to be the visible problem ... it is completely swamped by the colour aliasing in the two DSLRs.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#19 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:43 pm

The amazing SEM image [click on the thumbnail] at the bottom of this page:
https://naturalhistory.museumwales.ac.u ... recid=3534
gives a good indication of the structural detail which we simply cannot image properly with any optical microscope.

MichaelG.

Here’s a crop:
Credit: National Museum Wales
Credit: National Museum Wales
C9A39D8C-D86D-4A2E-A0C6-BE359F864DD2.jpeg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
Too many 'projects'

Mraster2

#20 Post by Mraster2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:23 am

Most, maybe all, Canon cameras have optical anti-alias filters (the dslrs that I am familiar with do) to limit the high frequency content reaching the sensor. I dont know about Nikon, some manufacturers have moved away from them. I guess the Rising is a raw sensor ?

No real world filter can perfectly remove only the above Nyquist content and leave the low-pass perfectly untouched. There is a trade-off to be made.

hans

#21 Post by hans » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:42 am

The diagonal artifacts do not look like aliasing to me -- way too regular and not closely related to the image structure. It is strange how the strength of the artifact appears to be related to more gradual intensity gradients. If I understand, the Rising Sun has the finest pixel pitch and therefore would be the least prone to aliasing, unless there was a difference in in-sensor anti-alias filtering as Mraster2 mentioned?

MichaelG.

#22 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:32 am

hans wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:42 am
The diagonal artifacts do not look like aliasing to me -- way too regular and not closely related to the image structure. It is strange how the strength of the artifact appears to be related to more gradual intensity gradients. If I understand, the Rising Sun has the finest pixel pitch and therefore would be the least prone to aliasing, unless there was a difference in in-sensor anti-alias filtering as Mraster2 mentioned?
This tutorial is too heavy-going for me to follow in detail, Hans
https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/jour ... full?SSO=1
... but you may get something from it.

What I wrote earlier was the best logical summary of the comparison that my old brain can muster:
The important bit [again, I think] is that the Rising Sun is good enough for this to be the visible problem ... it is completely swamped by the colour aliasing in the two DSLRs.
MichaelG.

Edit: It might me informative to look at the individual colour channels in each of those three images
... I don’t know.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#23 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:02 am

Here’s a small crop from David’s image, for convenient reference:
detail from the Rising Sun image
detail from the Rising Sun image
80371308-9D86-4B5F-8209-3AB5239BE0FC.jpeg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 11405 times
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

david_b

#24 Post by david_b » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:02 am
Here’s a small crop from David’s image, for convenient reference:
Thanks Michael, yes that's what I'm talking about.

I downloaded one of the images from the >$10k Leica dedicated camera referred to in the article. Opening at 100%, I'm not seeing the noise or artifacts here, but sharpness & resolving of detail is still not what I would expect for 10 grand!

Note that the Leica camera and Rising cam are both using a 1" Sony sensor so I wonder why microscope optics are apparently 'too sharp' for the RC but not for the Leica. Or is there another reason?

box upload api

MichaelG.

#25 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:14 am

david_b wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 am
Note that the Leica camera and Rising cam are both using a 1" Sony sensor so I wonder why microscope optics are apparently 'too sharp' for the RC but not for the Leica. Or is there another reason?
I’m out-of-my-depth trying to analyse this, David ... but I think the big difference is in the subject matter: Nyquist aliasing occurs when there is an unsuitable relationship between two ‘frequencies’ : it is therefore noticeable on the diatom image because there is a very strong pattern within the information.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Piter_

#26 Post by Piter_ » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:21 am

Nice article.
I would only clarify the situation when people say that 3M is enough. It is when you attach a DLSR to the older 35mm photo camera adapter, which uses a projective eyepiece. Without additional optics 3M is about as high as you will need.
Best.
Petro.