Stylonychia

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
janvangastel

Stylonychia

#1 Post by janvangastel » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:27 am

I found another hypotrich, which I think is a Stylonychia, because of its three caudal cirri. As far as I was able to count the other cirrii on the body, they did not contradict this ID, but I am not 100% sure. The caudals don't have fringes at the end as far I can see, but that's not necessary for being a Stylonychia. I don't know if this is an important ID-ing feature, but the ciliate in the video has one macronucleus right behind the buccal area and one above it (or below, don't know the right orientation), like on drawings of Stylonychia I have seen. Length of the ciliate is about 140 microns.

Bruce Taylor

Re: Stylonychia

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:37 am

Beautiful! :) This is a species of Tetmemena...most likely, the very common Tetmemena pustulata.

DonSchaeffer

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 am

Magnificent image.

janvangastel

#4 Post by janvangastel » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm

OK, thanks for the reminder Bruce. So Tetmemena, like the dividing ciliate I posted earlier. I forgot that Stylonychia is Tetmemena now. This name is not mentioned in the two keys I use and also not in Kahl. But this is all literature from before the revision of the name. Most recent is the Hildrew and Townsend key, from 1996. The Hartmut Bick key is from 1972 and Kahl is much older.

Thanks Don.

Bruce Taylor

#5 Post by Bruce Taylor » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:59 pm

janvangastel wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm
I forgot that Stylonychia is Tetmemena now.
Not all Stylonychia have been moved to Tetmemena! I'm sorry if I gave that impression. Only certain species have been moved, such as T. pustulata, T. vorax and a few more. Other traditional species, such as members of the Stylonychia mytilus complex, remain in the old genus.