Litonotus duplostriatus

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
janvangastel

Litonotus duplostriatus

#1 Post by janvangastel » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:12 am

My North Sea sample is full of Pleurostomatidae at the moment. When I started observing this sample I only found very few, but now, after about ten days, its the most abundant ciliate of which I see at least 15 in every slide I observe. two days ago I found this nice one. I think it is Litonotus pleurostratus, because of its nice 'double rib' feature, most clearly visible at the beginning of this video. I found the name in Kahl (vol. 2, page 192).

Bruce Taylor

Re: Litonotus duplostriatus

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:33 pm

A really nice video! Your species-level ID is very plausible. However, marine ciliates have been poorly studied until recently, so you will not get a good sense of the real diversity from Kahl. In a recent redescription of Litonotus duplostriatus, the authors list 6 species with a similar morphology that should be compared. Of those, 4 were unknown to Kahl! The one they describe as "most similar", L. songi, is differentiated on the basis of fairly inconspicuous features, such as the shape of the individual extrusomes: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... gMMkOkuElA

janvangastel

#3 Post by janvangastel » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks Bruce. There are always more possibilities then I am aware of when ID-ing. Makes it difficult, but also interesting.

Bruce Taylor

#4 Post by Bruce Taylor » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Yes! And there are more possibilities than anyone is aware of, because so much ciliate diversity remains undescribed.

Rapidray

#5 Post by Rapidray » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 am

Great video and excellent double rib movement!
OMAX M83