Preggo Rotifer

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Timemaster1212

Preggo Rotifer

#1 Post by Timemaster1212 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 pm

My rotifer culture produces a great sample. Im gonna try and find a procedure to make a well slide last longer than ~10 minutes and see if i can keep watching her

also i should probably clean my camera setup from all that dust :oops:

75RR

Re: Preggo Rotifer

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:41 pm

Timemaster1212 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 pm
Im gonna try and find a procedure to make a well slide last longer than ~10 minutes and see if i can keep watching her
One can use Vaseline to seal the edges of the cover slip to reduce evaporation or just add water periodically by placing a drop at the cover slips edge and have capillary action do the rest.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Plasmid

#3 Post by Plasmid » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:14 am

Another way to maintain slides is to.... Get a plastic Tupperware with a lid, put some towel paper on the bottom, get it soaked with water and then put two beer bottle caps ( brownie points if they are from some rare IPA) on top of the paper. On top of the beer bottle caps goes to slide, I wouldn't recommend putting the slide directly on top of the paper towel because water can actually get from the paper towel onto the slide. Put the lid back on the Tupperware .... Now you got yourself the coolest humidity chamber in town. :)

Try to view it in darkfield makes the egg look different.
https://youtu.be/Sx4-yJEMf4g

Timemaster1212

#4 Post by Timemaster1212 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:49 pm

I actually tried the Tupperware trick as i posted the question and so far its working great. I’ll see if i have vaseline and try that too in a different slide just for fun. Im interested in trying to maintain this slide as it would be awesome to capture the progression of the egg