Ilex leaf stem hand sections stained with Etzold FCA and Wacker W3ASim

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
MicroBob

Ilex leaf stem hand sections stained with Etzold FCA and Wacker W3ASim

#1 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi together,
in preparation of next weeks virtual group meeting I prepared a video on making free hand sections and staining and mounting them.
Ilex leaves are very hard and tough on the outside but a bit foam like on the inside, at least when harvested at this time of year.
These are stained with Etzold FCA and Wacker W3ASim simultaneous triple stains. These don't offer much control over the staining process but give quick results.
The images are individual shots of the still wet mounts in Euparal, so they can be expected to improve further. Secrions are "bread slices", probably 100µ or more, but he structure of the leaves would allow thinner cuts probably only from paraffin embedding.

Bob
Attachments
Ilex Handschnitt Blattstiel im Übergang zum Blatt 5mm breit FCA 1024.jpg
Ilex Handschnitt Blattstiel im Übergang zum Blatt 5mm breit FCA 1024.jpg (205.35 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Ilex Handschnitt Blattstiel im Übergang zum Blatt 7mm breit W3ASim 1024.jpg
Ilex Handschnitt Blattstiel im Übergang zum Blatt 7mm breit W3ASim 1024.jpg (229.46 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Last edited by MicroBob on Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

deBult

Re: Ilex leaf stem hand sections stained with Etzold FCA and Wacker W3ASim

#2 Post by deBult » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:09 pm

[*]Do like the blue FCA one better, but the differentiation in tissue looks better in the W3Asim version?

Please share the video.

tgss

#3 Post by tgss » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:15 pm

I agree with deBult on the apparent differentiation, but I like them both very much. Very attractive images for such thick sections. I too would like a link to the video.
Cheers
Tom W.

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:15 am

The video needs some additions and then I will think about making it public. I think about adding good photos mit inscriptions for the functional tissues. But my slides are still drying and I want them better cured before I take good photos. When I make the video public I will post a link of cause. For some of you this might be the perfect point of time to polish up your german :D .

Bob

tgss

#5 Post by tgss » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:50 pm

Ah, Bob. I'm afraid it will need more than a little polish! But I suspect the video will be very informative no matter what the language.
Tom W.