Stained brain histological sections

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Naphthalene

Stained brain histological sections

#1 Post by Naphthalene » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Images show histological section of embryonic mouse forebrain stained with diaminobenzidine (brown) and hematoxylin (purple). Brown color shows nestin staining, a protein that is only present in progenitors of neurons. Nestin is found in bodies of these cells and their long processes, spanning the whole brain. In mammal brain these long cells (collectively named radial glia) are only present during the development, and disappear in adults. The radial glia are actively dividing, giving rise to neurons. Nestin can be also observed around the blood vessels.

Four distinct zones are seen in first image: the empty cell-free ventricular space, a cell-rich bottom areas named "ventricular/subventricular zones", a loose upper area named "intermediate zone" and the top "cortical plate" area. The bodies of brown cells are situated in the bottom area, while their extended processes run upwards through the intermediate zone and cortical plate. These processes serve as ladders for directing the movement (called migration) of newborn neurons through intermediate zone to reach the upper area where they begin to grow. The expanding cortical plate gradually becomes a cerebral cortex during the brain development.

10x objective:
Last edited by Naphthalene on Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naphthalene

Re: Stained brain histological sections

#2 Post by Naphthalene » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:32 pm

The subventricular, intermediate zones and cortical plate (20x objective):

The ventricular/subventricular and intermediate zones imaged with 40x objective:

The intermediate zone (40x objective):
Last edited by Naphthalene on Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naphthalene

#3 Post by Naphthalene » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:43 pm

The higher power view of ventricular and subventricular zones where the radial glial cells actively divide (60x objective) :

The intermediate zone filled with migratory neurons that possess oval or irregulary shaped nuclei, imaged with 60x objective:

And the cortical plate showing the round nuclei of newborn neurons:
Last edited by Naphthalene on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks for sharing those excellent images. Are you doing research on neuron growth?

Naphthalene

#5 Post by Naphthalene » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:21 pm

Thank you for you kind reply, PeteM ! Yes, I'm working in a research institute, but I have produced these images for my personal study. The histology is not a part of my job, but rather a hobby, and I have purchased the microtome and microscope for my entertainment at home.