Can't Post Pictures Anymore!!!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
JimT

Can't Post Pictures Anymore!!!

#1 Post by JimT » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 pm

Have not been able to post photos lately. They are all <1000 pixels and 350KB. Before when this happened I posted them on 500PX and copied them to this site but it doesn't work now. HELP!

And thanks.

Charles

Re: Can't Post Pictures Anymore!!!

#2 Post by Charles » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 pm

JimT,

You probably ran out of allotted space as noted in the 'Welcome to the New Forum post near the top, which states:

There are two ways of making pictures visible inside one post.
1. You can upload a picture to an external image hosting service (Photobucket, Flickr, etc.) and then include the link to the picture inside the post. Copy paste the complete link (including the beginning http://) and then surround the link with the [img]and[/img] tags. This is the preferred method. You have a lot of storage space available, because the forum itself does not have to host the pictures. Image size is also not limited and you can include as many images per post as you want. These external servers are also large and fast and can handle much data more efficiently. Note, that DropBox does not allow for direct image embedding anymore! If you want to embed images from Photobucket, then copy the link listed in the "Direct" box and place it between the [img]and[/img] tags.

2. You can upload pictures to the forum. Below the edit box there is the option to upload attachments. Select the picture that you want to upload ("choose file") and then upload it. you can also add a caption to each image. There is a limit to 5 pictures per post, each picture can not be larger than 512KB and can not be larger than 1024x1024. Larger images take much loading time and can not be displayed properly inside the available space. If these size requirement are not met, then it will not upload. There is also a maximum storage space allocated to each user. These restrictions are necessary, otherwise there is not enough server space available. I might have to adjust these values, however. This is not the most flexible method if you want to present many pictures.

We may need to get a Photobucket or Flicker account.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:34 am

... I posted them on 500PX and copied them to this site ...
When you say copied, I take it that you mean you copied and then pasted the direct link from 500PX?
I use Photobucket, it is free and so far at least, it is working. I use an Add-blocker so it is relatively painless.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Rodney

#4 Post by Rodney » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:25 am

So does this mean if you use up your allowed picture space you can`t post any more pictures but you can continue to post to any topic. So does this mean no more pictures from a person that has reached the photo limit? I have no idea other than what I read.

Rodney

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:38 am

So does this mean no more pictures from a person that has reached the photo limit?
When you reach the limit you can still post pictures but you have to do it via a link to an image site such as Photobucket.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Rodney wrote:So does this mean if you use up your allowed picture space you can`t post any more pictures but you can continue to post to any topic. So does this mean no more pictures from a person that has reached the photo limit? I have no idea other than what I read.

Rodney
Rodney, as I understand it, the limitation is due to limited disk space on the forum server limiting the number of Gbytes that you can upload there, and has nothing to do with limiting the number of pictures you post. So if you use an image hosting website to upload your images to, then post on the forum a link to the address of the image on the hosting site, you can post as many images as you want.

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi Rodney,
You will just have to post your photos at another photo hosting site... Then you will have to learn to post a clickable link to your pics in the forum here.. Painless, just adds an extra step...

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:32 pm

I just created an account with Photobucket against the time when I run out of photo posting room here... Very simple...

http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/billb ... p.jpg.html

admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by admin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:12 pm

JimT,
I just wanted to inform you that you are not out of space and that posting pictures should still work, because I have not made any changes to the settings. All users are allowed to upload 5 attachments per post, 512KB is maximum size, 1024x1024 is maximum size in pixels. The preferred method, however, is linking the images from another site (such as photobucket). In this case there are no restrictions, as the pictures are hosted on a different server.
Oliver.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

JimT

#10 Post by JimT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Oliver, thanks. I will try to upload the photos again because I need some of the more knowledgeable members to help identify it. I am on 500PX but forgot how to create the link. I will try Photobucket.

JimT

JimT

#11 Post by JimT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:10 pm

Oliver, thanks again. Still can't post pictures directly but have joined Photobucket and after a few false starts got a test photo posted here. Thank you CE and 75RR.

Now if I can just remember what I just did I will post the two subject photos. Wish me luck!

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:15 pm

JimT,

On photobucket, click on library, then on the image you want to post. The image will be displayed, and to its right you will see SHARE LINKS. Click on the IMG link. It (usually) will turn momentarily yellow indicating that it has been copied to the clipboard (I use Windows, don't know what the equivalent is in Mac), and can be pasted directly in your post in this forum. Go the the forum posting window and paste the link (^V). If you click on Preview, you will see the posted image (not the link).

I hope this helps.

[Added after seeing your successful post] Yes, it worked, but I'm not sure how you did it, as there is some url junk at the top of each image. The easy way (I described above) will show only the images. I was ready to delete my post but I decided to keep it because of that.

Oliver

#13 Post by Oliver » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:06 am

1. copy the link to the picture into the clipboard.
2. paste it into the post
3. add the [img][/img] tags arround the url

Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

jwsmith

#14 Post by jwsmith » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Oliver----I'm curious why you don't just handle each postING division of microbehunter as a fifo buffer......
It's not like we are archiving anything important, this is a layman's microscopy site...

Judd