Nemotode

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
SilverWolf

Nemotode

#1 Post by SilverWolf » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:02 am

Nemotode (hope I'm right lol) from dried moss sample in bright field, first play with oblique and then finishing in dark field. Only a round worm but I'm excited as it's my first and.... I worked out how to add some music :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADPe7k14XCQ
Cheers
Wolf :ugeek:

Placozoa

Re: Nemotode

#2 Post by Placozoa » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:15 am

That IS a nematode. :)

What does that particular one eat?

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Nemotode

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:08 am

Yeah that goofy movement is characteristic of the nematode it has only longitudinal muscles and so is somewhat limited in its ability to move freely. It is difficult for me to get a good look at its head which is the most likely starting point for an ID I can't really even tell if the cuticle annulations are particularly distinct but I think I see a stylet and the median bulb meaning it most likely eats the insides of plant cells or fungus pretty frequently a good bet with your offhand nematode found in a pile of plant material. I am not terribly good at doing the ID from video like this though, and nematode ID from morphology alone is a tricky sort of business but you want a good look at the cephalic structure, the pharynx sometimes some of the sexual organs easiest if you apply a little methylcellulose solution a good thing to have around in any case as it will slow all the critters down and is not aggressively poisonous as many microscopy chemicals are
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination