Chaos carolinensis, a very large amoeba

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
tlansing

Chaos carolinensis, a very large amoeba

#1 Post by tlansing » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:52 pm

Chaos carolinensis is a very large amoeba, so large in fact that I could not get the entire amoeba in one picture. So, I decided to make a short video to show how large it is. You can see the protoplasmic streaming and the many nuclei characteristic of this amoeba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzbPqJ-nhdE

75RR

Re: Chaos carolinensis, a very large amoeba

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:13 pm

Nice catch!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Wes

#3 Post by Wes » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:18 pm

tlansing wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:52 pm
Chaos carolinensis is a very large amoeba, so large in fact that I could not get the entire amoeba in one picture. So, I decided to make a short video to show how large it is. You can see the protoplasmic streaming and the many nuclei characteristic of this amoeba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzbPqJ-nhdE
Could you tell a bit more about where you got it from, how you retrieved the specimen and how you prepared the slide/sample.

Absolutely great catch and video!
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

tlansing

#4 Post by tlansing » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:19 am

@75RR: Thanks!

@Wes: This was completely serendipitous. I had made a collection from a small pond (really a holding pond) which was next to a much larger lake in NC. This small pond does not go through cycles of drying out/refilling after rain, so the environment was pretty stable. I had allowed the jar containing the sample to sit for a while (weeks), sampling it occasionally to see what emerged. I actually saw Chaos twice in this same collection. I had simply removed mud, etc from the bottom of the jar, placed it on a slide, added a coverslip and took a look. I took a darkfield photo using a 6.3X objective (below), but I think the video gives a better idea of the size of this amoeba. Glad you liked it!
Chaos.jpg
Chaos.jpg (69.3 KiB) Viewed 2807 times

Chris Dee

#5 Post by Chris Dee » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Beast of an amoeba, nice video, well done.

Wes

#6 Post by Wes » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:55 pm

tlansing wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:19 am
@75RR: Thanks!

@Wes: This was completely serendipitous. I had made a collection from a small pond (really a holding pond) which was next to a much larger lake in NC. This small pond does not go through cycles of drying out/refilling after rain, so the environment was pretty stable. I had allowed the jar containing the sample to sit for a while (weeks), sampling it occasionally to see what emerged. I actually saw Chaos twice in this same collection. I had simply removed mud, etc from the bottom of the jar, placed it on a slide, added a coverslip and took a look. I took a darkfield photo using a 6.3X objective (below), but I think the video gives a better idea of the size of this amoeba. Glad you liked it!
Chaos.jpg
Thank you for the details. This thread has inspired me to collect some mud and check whats living in it.

Looking forward to more of your threads, cool stuff :D
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

tlansing

#7 Post by tlansing » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:45 pm

@Chris Dee: Thanks!

@Wes: Thanks, Wes. I have made it a habit to always collect some of the mud at the bottom of the pond or lake. I use a turkey baster to collect mud and water. I always also let it just sit and develop over a number of weeks to see what emerges. There are always a number of interesting critters in there! if you have ever looked at the fantastic book by Kreutz and Foissner containing superb photos from some ponds in Germany, they show a number of bizarre and beautiful ciliates and other protists that they found in the mud and sediments.

Dubious

#8 Post by Dubious » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:29 pm

Fascinating catch!

Javier

#9 Post by Javier » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:34 am

Very nice finding!

tlansing

#10 Post by tlansing » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:23 pm

@Dubious, @Javier: Thanks!