Pictures and Video Posts: HOW TO ???

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
linuxusr

Pictures and Video Posts: HOW TO ???

#1 Post by linuxusr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:40 am

I am keying a ciliate and I want to post my description along with .tiff and .mp4 files of my specimen in the identification sub-forum. I have no idea how to do this. Is there a sticky??

Need your advice!

Thanks.
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

MicroBob

Re: Pictures and Video Posts: HOW TO ???

#2 Post by MicroBob » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 am

Hi, it's simple- you can't do this!
You can upload jpg of up to 1024 pixels long side and upt to 500 kB size. For anything bigger you will need an external host. Big advantage of the forum upload ist that it will most likely work as long as the forum is alive. External photo hosts die one after the other so it it will soner or later happen that you old threads will end without photos. For documenttion here 1024 pixels is quite an okay size.

smollerthings

#3 Post by smollerthings » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 pm

Maybe you can upload to youtube and embed it in your post using the [youtube][/youtube] tag?

For the pictures, I like to use imgur. You can then embed the link inside [media][/media].

linuxusr

#4 Post by linuxusr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:16 pm

smollerthings wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 pm
Maybe you can upload to youtube and embed it in your post using the [youtube][/youtube] tag?

For the pictures, I like to use imgur. You can then embed the link inside [media][/media].
Yes, I think that for pictures, I will try imgur. My .tiff images are 25 mb each. Any issue with that? Meanwhile, I'll start investigating. Thanks.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#5 Post by linuxusr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:19 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 am
You can upload jpg of up to 1024 pixels long side and upt to 500 kB size. For anything bigger you will need an external host. Big advantage of the forum upload ist that it will most likely work as long as the forum is alive. External photo hosts die one after the other so it it will soner or later happen that you old threads will end without photos. For documenttion here 1024 pixels is quite an okay size.
Unfortunately, my .tiff images are 50 times larger than 500 kb (25 mb). I don't care if an external hosts dies. These images/video are for discussion in the present. The forum could die too (knock on my lab table that it doesn't).
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

micro

#6 Post by micro » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:27 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:19 pm
MicroBob wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 am
Unfortunately, my .tiff images are 50 times larger than 500 kb (25 mb). I don't care if an external hosts dies. These images/video are for discussion in the present. The forum could die too (knock on my lab table that it doesn't).
Download lightshot and set it to take smaller file screenshots of the images
https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:32 pm

I would suggest to keep in mind that some users will use a slow or expensive internet connection. They won't be happy to find that they have just downloaded a 25 MB image. Microscope images don't contain that much information anyway. When using a 100:1 oil objecives a few megapixel are enough to to record all available detail.

tlansing

#8 Post by tlansing » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:10 pm

I have used Microsoft Paint to resize my large photos to reduce their size, save and then post the resulting image. It is pretty simple to do.

smollerthings

#9 Post by smollerthings » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:49 am

linuxusr wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:16 pm
Yes, I think that for pictures, I will try imgur. My .tiff images are 25 mb each. Any issue with that? Meanwhile, I'll start investigating. Thanks.
They do support TIFF but the limit is 20mb on imgur.
tlansing wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:10 pm
I have used Microsoft Paint to resize my large photos to reduce their size, save and then post the resulting image. It is pretty simple to do.
On Windows, Irfanview is a great tool to batch resize images of all kinds.

Roldorf

#10 Post by Roldorf » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:58 am

I use this website to load images into the forum:- https://postimages.org/

Once you have your image on the forum you can click on it to take you to the original full resolution image on postimages.

Here is a link to one of my posts with a linked image.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7685&start=90

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

linuxusr

#11 Post by linuxusr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:59 pm

@MicroBob
@micro
@smollerthings
@tiansing
@Roldorf

Before I read your posts (now), I already began prepping uploads. Thanks for suggestions and advice. I will return to your posts after I do my first post with images and video in the identification sub-forum.

First, for photos, I tried GIMP for cropping. No one wants to see an entire FOV with a tiny specimen in one corner. In GIMP, I could set up the photo as I wanted but I could not figure out how to save in a manner that maintained my edits and the same file extension. I have now downloaded the near 1,000 page GIMP manual! Meanwhile, at IMGUR I found I could crop. I set up a photo and a video and I have the direct links. Some stuff was a little wonky . . .

I will now post at the above sub-forum and see how it works out. Later, I'll return to your suggestions and follow-up.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

SWmicro

#12 Post by SWmicro » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:59 pm
I tried GIMP for cropping. No one wants to see an entire FOV with a tiny specimen in one corner. In GIMP, I could set up the photo as I wanted but I could not figure out how to save in a manner that maintained my edits and the same file extension.
Dont use "Save" ( nor "Save as" ) that saves the project that you are woking on as a .xcf file which you can reload back into Gimp later to carry on editing or whatever.

Instead, in the File drop-down use "Export as ... "
and there you can type in a file name of choice followed by the file extension you you want. *
For example, if you have loaded and worked on a file called x.bmp
you can export it as x.jpg or y.bmp or z.gif (etc) typed in the "Name: " box and the popup dialog will invite you to specify the parameters for that file extn, eg compression etc.

If you have been working with layers, perhaps to add text and arrows or other markers then you must "Flatten" in the Images drop-down, or "Merge down" in Layers menu before exporting in some formats, jpg for example.

If using a crop dont forget to Image>"Crop to selection" or "Fit canvas to layer " or other method to make sure that the final canvas size is the same as your visible desired image. Otherwise you can easily end up with a very big image with a tiny picture in it ! :) )

*There is another way of selecting a type - click on "Select File Type (By Extension)", which will offer you a scroll-down choice of all file types you can use.

Gimp is excellent but a steep learning curve !
hth

dtsh

#13 Post by dtsh » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:59 pm
In GIMP, I could set up the photo as I wanted but I could not figure out how to save in a manner that maintained my edits and the same file extension.
It's not the most intuituve at times, you want "Export" or "Export as" from the "File" menu.