Euglenoids

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
RobBerdan

Euglenoids

#1 Post by RobBerdan » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:17 pm

Over the summer I enjoy collecting pond samples north of Calgary with my wife. One of the most fascinating organisms I found are euglenids of various types. So I collected my best pictures and videos and present them in an article on my web site: https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... noids.html .

I include a list of links to Euglenid reviews and some recent science papers for those interested in learning more. I enjoy writing articles because it is a great way for me to learn more about these organisms and I like sharing information about microscopy which I have worked with for over 50 years (I am a semi-retired cell biologist). Microscopy makes for a fantastic hobby and unlike astronomy can done in the warmth and comfort of your home during winter and I am continually fascinated by the shear number of microorganisms that can be found in water and even in your backyard.

I would like to acknowledge the valuable help from Bruce Taylor whom some of you know on this forum. Bruce helped me with taxonomy of Euglenids (and also Ciliates) and has provided me with valuable feed back, corrections etc so thank you so much Bruce!

My wife Donna has also started to make music tracks for microrganism videos I post and she accompanies me pond collecting as she enjoys the outdoors.

Unfortunately winter temperatures have now arrived in Calgary, the ponds are now frozen but I might try hacking through ice later in season once the ponds are safe to walk on.

Below are a few images from my article on Euglenids.
Lepocinclis fusca  - note the triangular ornamention on the pellicle 400X DIC
Lepocinclis fusca - note the triangular ornamention on the pellicle 400X DIC
s223_DSC_0032.jpg (61.27 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Euglena sp  400X Phase contrast microscopy
Euglena sp 400X Phase contrast microscopy
s204_0219Ex.jpg (83.53 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Euglenoid - Lepocinclis helicoideus 400X DiC microscopy
Euglenoid - Lepocinclis helicoideus 400X DiC microscopy
s229_DSC_0004.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Euglenoid sp 400X DIC microscpy
Euglenoid sp 400X DIC microscpy
s221_DSC_0004.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Attachments
Phacus sp 400X DIC microscopy
Phacus sp 400X DIC microscopy
s230_DSC_0087.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

ImperatorRex

Re: Euglenoids

#2 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:55 am

Hi Rob,
great variety of species, wonderful photos and lots of interesting information provided.
Thanks for sharing. Seems you and your wife forms a wonderful team to make this happen!

75RR

Re: Euglenoids

#3 Post by 75RR » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:21 am

A timely reminder of how colourful they are. Made me want to sample fresh water for a change.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)