Cochliopodium bilimbosum, an amoeba covered in scales

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
tlansing

Cochliopodium bilimbosum, an amoeba covered in scales

#1 Post by tlansing » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:08 pm

In a recent collection, I observed a number of individuals of the amoeba Cochliopodium bilimbosum. This is an interesting amoeba because it has a hump-like cell body and an advancing, flattened pseudopod. Small pseudopods can extend from the front of the large flattened pseudopod. The cell body contains a number of granules, which can be seen in the attached video. The surface of the amoeba is covered with a layer of scales called a tectum. The scales are the bumps or spots that can be seen the flattened pseudopod in the video. The scales have a number of different shapes and structures; this link shows the variety and beauty of these scales as shown with scanning EM: http://www.penard.de/Explorer/Amoebozoa ... %20scales/

WWWW

Re: Cochliopodium bilimbosum, an amoeba covered in scales

#2 Post by WWWW » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:28 pm

Very nice video !

macnmotion

#4 Post by macnmotion » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:02 am

Wow, this is really cool. Something I've never seen before. Great description to go along with the video.

tlansing

#5 Post by tlansing » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 am

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

@macnmotion: You may have seen this amoeba but just not noticed it. I think they are pretty common, as I have seen them in collections I have made from several different ponds. They are small amoebae that at low power (16x with 12.5x oculars in my case) don't appear to be moving but look like a granular disk with a halo. Phase contrast or DIC really helps in seeing them. Upon closer inspection at higher magnification, you can see them moving or the granules in the cell body moving. They also remind me of Hyalodiscus, another small amoeba with a hump-like cell body and a fan-shaped pseudopod.

macnmotion

#6 Post by macnmotion » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:20 am

tlansing wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 am
Thanks to all for your kind comments.

@macnmotion: You may have seen this amoeba but just not noticed it. I think they are pretty common, as I have seen them in collections I have made from several different ponds. They are small amoebae that at low power (16x with 12.5x oculars in my case) don't appear to be moving but look like a granular disk with a halo. Phase contrast or DIC really helps in seeing them. Upon closer inspection at higher magnification, you can see them moving or the granules in the cell body moving. They also remind me of Hyalodiscus, another small amoeba with a hump-like cell body and a fan-shaped pseudopod.
Thanks. I see plenty of amoebae with moving granules but I've never seen the scales. I'll look more closely.