Cyclops.

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
microplan

Cyclops.

#1 Post by microplan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:01 am

At the beginning of the video, a single eye is clearly visible.
Then, as we move forward, we see a large number of eggs in the back of the body.
At high magnification, you can see other passengers located between these eggs.
Sweet water. Sample from last year.
CZJ Jenaval microscope. Lighting is a self-made dark field.

Regards
Maciej

bkt

Re: Cyclops.

#2 Post by bkt » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:04 am

Hi, that is a very nice video. I'm learning this red area is an eye... thanks!

The cyclop and most of passengers seem asleep. How did this happen?

microplan

#3 Post by microplan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:12 am

Hello bkt.

I'm glad you liked my video.
You write that you are learning. I do it all the time.
I am learning nomenclature, observation, interpretation.
And of course I make lots of mistakes. That's how it is.
As for the fact that Cyclops is immobile, I think it is due to the strong adhesion of the cover slip to the base slide.

Regards
Maciej

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:40 pm

Thanks, microplan for this microscopy of a freshwater (sweet water!) female cyclops copepod.

At 51 seconds into your microscopy..and onto 1min and 15 seconds..we see numerous single red pigmented eyes in the developing embryos mother carried in her ovisacs, before she was crushed to death, and her ovisacs ruptured by the crush.

From 5 seconds into your microscopy ..we have ample time to detect even feeble movements of mothers muscular gut.. no gut motions..alas mom has died.

Male and female copepods ( as with your copepod) embrace..males pass a packet of their sperm to the females genital segment ( so this segments ventral surface serves as a seminal receptacle ). The packet of viable sperm passed to the female

is called a spermatophore.

Actual fertilization of eggs is delayed , always after male and female separate. Fertilization of eggs occurs as the eggs leave the internal reproductive tract of the female. These fertilized eggs are then developing embryos, externally carried

in mothers ovisacs. So many aspects of this reproductive cycle are variable..and still being studied with great findings. thanks, microplan for sharing. charlie g