Euglenid posing as a hermit crab?

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Free2Fish

Euglenid posing as a hermit crab?

#1 Post by Free2Fish » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:56 pm

This morning I ran into this little euglenid that had taken over the empty test of an amoeba. Deliberate or extemporaneous turn in the road? Sadly, I believe we have to chose the latter although the dream of a hermit eugenoid should live on.

DonSchaeffer

Re: Euglenid posing as a hermit crab?

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:31 pm

I can't imagine anything like that to be deliberate when it comes to these organisms. You honor them with the question.

Topcode

#3 Post by Topcode » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:19 am

Deliberate or not, that guy is chilling in a little protective house, even if it don't know it, cool thing to see. Plus, if its more stationary, it can be easier to play around with lighting and capturing it.

Free2Fish

#4 Post by Free2Fish » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm

Imaging was still difficult; the little guy just kept cruising in a circle. Other specimens, quite common when I ran into this one, didn't move much horizontally but rather twisted (remember that dance), mainly in the vertical direction. I was determined to get a better image of one today but so far they have eluded me.
I now wish I had kept the specimen overnight to see what was going on a day later. Oh well, lesson learned.
I did finally find another euglena but it kept moving around too.

Last edited by Free2Fish on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cuxlander

#5 Post by cuxlander » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:06 pm

Hello,

Call it deliberate or else. Lynn Margulis refers to the protist cell as the “conscious cell”.
It makes sense for a photosynthetic singleceller to search shelter inside an empty hyaline housing. And they obviously are quite determined as my few examples show:

Cheers
Hans,
Attachments
intruders.jpg
intruders.jpg (132.23 KiB) Viewed 387 times

Free2Fish

#6 Post by Free2Fish » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:22 pm

Thanks for sharing those Hans, this opens up a whole new vein of speculation for me. The evidence certainly seems to point to some sort of purpose for these motile protists. I've always held the view there are many layers of understanding that haven't yet been uncovered or are beyond our present level of comprehension.
Harry

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:16 am

Hi all, many many protists have strategies for controlling their solar light environment..with out terming it thoughtful behavior strategies...we 'neutrally?' term such behaviors as : tropisms.

Some flagellate protozoa ( eg: Haematococcus pluvialis ) actually move their internal pigments to shield intense insolation ( sun light) from their interior organelles. Euglenoid protozoa react to different levels of sunlight ( insolation) by

relocating to areas of their environment with insolation they prefer. Other euglenoid flagellates move their internal pigments to shield their interior organelles.

In the recycling/ the decomposing of shelled/ testate /carapace / often times random opportunistic encampments of diatoms, protists, meiofauna encounter..then enter the 'shells' of nearly complete 'composted organisms'..a

natural process .

Euglenoid protozoa do not: 'twist' so much..rather these flagellates ..ungulate ..a propagating wave of body contraction head to tail.
Attachments
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG (29.15 KiB) Viewed 335 times
IMG_3923.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG (28.65 KiB) Viewed 335 times
IMG_3866.JPG
IMG_3866.JPG (29.38 KiB) Viewed 335 times

cuxlander

#8 Post by cuxlander » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:40 am

Hello again,
here's another one.
The bottom one seems to take a breath of fresh oxygen through Hyalosphenia papilio's pore.
Cheers Hans
Attachments
gefangen.jpg
gefangen.jpg (109.1 KiB) Viewed 304 times