camera doesn't fit!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
njitgrad

camera doesn't fit!

#1 Post by njitgrad » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:27 pm

AmScope told me that the MD500 camera I was interested in buying would fit my son's M100C-LED microsope. Turns out it doesn't. At this moment they are trying to figure out why (I sent them a YouTube video with a short demo) but in the mean time I'm hoping someone here can answer it.

Do I need a special adapter? This adapter seems like something that would work:
http://www.amscope.com/accessories/adap ... ion_tabbed

Here is a link to the video of the demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZGT0PlQoxM

Oliver

Re: camera doesn't fit!

#2 Post by Oliver » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Hello,
Your microscope does not seem to be manufactured according to the DIN 160mm standard, which also defines the diameters of eyepieces and objectives. The 160mm standard defines the eyepieces to be 23mm in diameter. Measure it out to make sure. The camera will also have the same 23mm diameter. Also judging from the size of the objectives, they appear to be smaller than the DIN 160mm objectives. Take one out and measure the diameter of the threading, it should be 0.7965" (20.1mm) across. If not, then the microscope uses non-standard components and it will be difficult to make other parts fit.

Even if you are able to make the camera fit somehow, the focal length of the objectives might not be right and you might have to significantly change the focus to make a clear image, which is not good with the short objective to slide distance.

I found this article on the web, which explains the eyepiece diameters for microscopes and telescopes: http://sovint.blogspot.co.at/2013/07/ch ... scope.html
But the smaller eyepieces that you have are not mentioned.

The adapters you suggest will not work, I think, as they are for downsizing. There are some barrels that have 30mm diameter (stereo microscopes) and the adapter downsizes to the 23.2mm of the camera.

Suggested solutions:
1. Try to make a cardboard sleeve: Remove eyepiece and wrap cardboard around camera and microscope tube to make fit snugly. Then hope that you do not need to refocus much to get a good image.
2. Use a mobile phone adapter. They will most certainly work and you can also see the live image on the mobile phone. This adapter unfortunately is not sold anymore, maybe someone knows alternatives (or home-made): http://www.skylightscope.com/
3. Return microscope and get a slightly more expensive one (eg M150C), which also has coarse and fine focus, as well as DIN optics. This is the recommended strategy, if you want a quick solution.

Greets, Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

njitgrad

#3 Post by njitgrad » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Oliver wrote: 3. Return microscope and get a slightly more expensive one (eg M150C), which also has coarse and fine focus, as well as DIN optics. This is the recommended strategy, if you want a quick solution.
Funny you should mention that. After an hour of research I came to the conclusion that the M150C would give me the best bang for the buck, be compatible with the camera, and give the the fine focus. So I ordered one off Amazon. As soon as I get the camera working on the M150C I'll sell the M100C on Craigslist. The retail price difference between the two is only $20 so in retrospect I should have done a little more research when I purchased it last year. I'll post a followup when I get a response from AmScope but it won't change the fact that we're moving to the 150C. Only wish I could return the M100C but it's way too late for that.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:33 pm

The 23.3mm R.M.S. eyepiece is the only one that is really standardized, although there is a default standard of 30mm , originally used for stereo microscopes and now increasingly common on diascopic microscopes.
Hobby microscopes, have a tradition of having smaller eyepiece tubes and in fact, objective threads too. As early as the turn of the century Bausch & Lomb tried to market a home microscope called the Little Gem. It had a 19mm eyepiece but also an increasing adapter. At the time of it's introduction B & L was using 25 mm or 1 inch which was a common size, prior to the R.M.S. standard.
Japan and Germany , mostly dominated the hobby microscope market from the end of W.W. 2 on and various sizes were used during the flowering of the hobby microscope. 17mm was often used on very small , almost toy microscopes, with 19mm mostly being used on the average hobby scope. The better microscopes had 21mm, I've even seen 22mm and once one with a 15mm eyepiece.
Mostly, with the exception of the 22mm used on Carton Optical's big gun of the 60's and early 70's, usually seen as a Tasco 1200X, although also badged with many different brands, they are in 2mm increments which seems to be a de facto standard , now. I would doubt if anything much smaller than 21mm exists , anymore.

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:42 pm

Njitgrad, hope the M150 works out. Let us know when you get it..

JimT

njitgrad

#6 Post by njitgrad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:21 pm

The M150C is on its way. A tech at AmScope sent me a photo of the MD500 camera inside the M150C eyepiece to show me that it fit so it sounds like the issue will be resolved shortly.

Apparently AmScope modified the heads of the M100C in the past year to accept a camera which is why I was told last week (prior to purchasing the camera) that it would fit. At the very least I think it would have been a good idea for them to choose a new model number for the upgraded M100C.

After placing my order with Amazon for the M150C I took a long shot and requested a refund on my M100C even though it was purchased two years ago. I pleaded my case that the MD500 camera I purchased in the past week was supposed to fit the M100C yet it did not. To my surprise, not only did they refund me the cost of the new M150C but they told me that I could "dispose" of the M100C in any manner I saw fit. I love Amazon.
Last edited by njitgrad on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:25 pm

That is good news. Looking forward to your photos.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

njitgrad

#8 Post by njitgrad » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:45 pm

The MD500 fit perfectly into the M150C. I played around with it briefly, looking at a permanent mount Paramecium slide. I grabbed some stills but no video yet (need living specimen obviously) and the images were amazingly clear at 5MP resolution. This camera (and the upgraded microscope) is going to blow my son's mind away when I give it to him next week as an early birthday present.

charlie

#9 Post by charlie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Don't feel any need to say thank you.

njitgrad

#10 Post by njitgrad » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:12 pm

charlie wrote:Don't feel any need to say thank you.
Thank you!!!