Variations of Safranin & Fast-green staining protocol

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
mrsonchus

Variations of Safranin & Fast-green staining protocol

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi all, I've been busy with staining techniques and an overhaul of my entire workflow with the aim of increasing the overall quality and fidelity (or a stained and mounted version thereof at least :D ) of my slides.
Anyway, I though you may like to see a couple of different versions that I have been working on and now have consistency with, of the almost ubiquitous Safranin & Fast-green combination staining protocol.

The tissue as I'm sure most will know from my earlier posts is of the 'flavour of the month' in my 'lab' at the moment - Daffodil ovary! :D

The first pair of images are of the 'cross-section' (TS) of said ovary, showing morphology including position and to some extent orientation (as this is not fixed in Daffodils) of the ovules also, as well as cellular details and vasculature at the smaller (finer) levels..
The first image is of the more usual version, maybe though of as a 'standard' version of the Safranin & Fast-green tissue image. The second image is of what I hope to be an 'enhanced' version of this protocol that not only appears to give very good differentiation between for example ground-tissue (e.g. parenchyma) and vascular traces as well as finely detailed intracellular information I think. Here's the first pair, see what you think, if nothing more I like the colours! :D
ws_bkgrem-AD-TS-saf-fg-std-.jpg
ws_bkgrem-AD-TS-saf-fg-std-.jpg (126.33 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
ws_bkgrem-AD-TS-saf-fg-enha.jpg
ws_bkgrem-AD-TS-saf-fg-enha.jpg (135.23 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
Similarly, the next two images are of the same ovary in longitudinal section (LS), image three is the 'std' version, image four is what I hope is an 'enhanced' version;
ws_bkgrem-AD-LS-saf-fg-std-.jpg
ws_bkgrem-AD-LS-saf-fg-std-.jpg (165.52 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
and,
ws_bkgrem-AD-LS-saf-fg-enha.jpg
ws_bkgrem-AD-LS-saf-fg-enha.jpg (171 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
I like them both but the 'enhanced' versions seem to be packed with distinctly differentiated details, I'll try to post some of the higher magnifications tonight to show the details if I get a chance, I've quite a lot on tonight but thought I'd make a start on a quick post to 'put up some colour' - I love stains!

Hope you like these, sorry they're only x4 stitches...
John B

billbillt

Re: Variations of Safranin & Fast-green staining protocol

#2 Post by billbillt » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi John,
I find all of these to be very fine.. You have sure got the hang of all this!...
BillT

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks Bill, it sure is great fun to do! :D I've a little trouble with an unevenly-differentiated epidermis in the std protocol in the pictures above, I've been careless when rinsing excess Fast-green from the tissue and have let on side lose more of the regressive Safranin during this stage - easily done when staining individual slides rather than using a staining-jar. Must take care to get an even OH flow when rinsing Fast-green 'by hand'....

Still, easily avoided when using Coplin jars. :D
Thanks for your interest Bill, and for your kind comment. :D :)
John B

Raul

#4 Post by Raul » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:08 pm

Great images, please John post the higher magnification photos, also you've done the second image just by varying the time of exposure to a stain or time of differentiation (and the second image is done with just safranin and fast green ?)

P.S. where does the blue tint come from?

Regards,
Raul

billben74

#5 Post by billben74 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Really nice images.
I like the more colourful one too. Its really nice. :)

Any clues on your staining protocol?

I've been busy with other projects of late although I did manage a rosemary stem into paraffin so at some point that will be sectioned.

...And I've got that died of natural causes fish now in 5% formalin...

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi Raul, thanks for looking old chap. The blue-tint is Fast-green's reaction to a pH change although OH can 'upset it' - trouble is Fast-green reacts to water like a Vampire to garlic! It's a fine balancing-act but upon reflection most results I find (after a lot of pondering and reading) seem quite logical - most of the time.... :D
John B

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi Bill, a fish in formalin! Oh my, your family are going to start to think you've gone bonkers! :D My Wife has long-since stopped being surprised by anything 'hanging about in my lab'! :D

Fast-Green + Safranin = playtime! Spilled Histoclear on my trousers today - my Darling Wife isn't particularly impressed with the large patches of 'ultra-clean' trouser I now exhibit! :(

Great fun these stains! Hussar! :D :D
John B

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:23 am

Raul wrote:Great images, please John post the higher magnification photos, also you've done the second image just by varying the time of exposure to a stain or time of differentiation (and the second image is done with just safranin and fast green ?)

P.S. where does the blue tint come from?

Regards,
Raul
Here are a few of the x4 stitch pieces that show a bit more detail..
ws_AD-LS-saf-fg-0004.jpg
ws_AD-LS-saf-fg-0004.jpg (445.07 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
ws_AD-TS-saf-fg-orig-ver-00.jpg
ws_AD-TS-saf-fg-orig-ver-00.jpg (276.05 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
ws_AD-TS-saf-fg-0007.jpg
ws_AD-TS-saf-fg-0007.jpg (460.82 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
The more I look at these the more similar to a Hematoxylin stain they seem!

I'll post some 'proper' high-mag images tomorrow given a chance Raul. :)
John B

billben74

#9 Post by billben74 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 am

So any chance of details of the more multicoloured saffarin and fast green stain?

I also get fairly excited by stains... :)

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 am

billben74 wrote:So any chance of details of the more multicoloured saffarin and fast green stain?

I also get fairly excited by stains... :)
Hi Bill, it's still 'work in progress' at this stage old chap - I've many variations and further modifications in mind to trial at this early stage. :)
John B

zzffnn

#11 Post by zzffnn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:18 pm

John B,
Is a middle ground between the two protocol possible? The enhanced contrast seems to occur mainly at ovary walls (not so much in the egg cells), though egg cell details may need high magnification to show up.

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:58 pm

zzffnn wrote:John B,
Is a middle ground between the two protocol possible? The enhanced contrast seems to occur mainly at ovary walls (not so much in the egg cells), though egg cell details may need high magnification to show up.
Hi zz' nice to have you alongside. :D
Yes, that would be a nice tweak to the technique. The elusive egg-cells are quite hard to find, the very dense (and strongly stained) 'inner tissue' seen with each ovule is I think the 'nucellus' tissue that generates the egg-cell proper. The nucellus itself is a real 'stain-sucker' as it were and I think overstained by these protocols for fine-details, although the bi/multi-nucleate nature of them is easily seen.
As a morphological image the protocol is superb, but for high-magnification chromosome examination for example I prefer the contrast of a very specific Haematoxylin and a light application of an acid cytoplasm stain such as Fast-green or even the general and rather pleasant Bismark brown - a venerable old stain that I have experimented with in the past with some nice results also.

Staining is a vastly underrepresented area online and very hard to find specific information about. It seems to me that images (in the sense of what is seen through the 'scope rather than specifically through a camera) land in only a few categories, that of morphology - the overall detail of tissue and organography, and the 'higher magnification' images concerning anatomy and intracellular details such as chromosomes, plastids etc. and I'm sure others. The overlap between them is small I fear in staining protocol terms....

These methods require me to constantly check and re-check staining progress as I work, a single slide may need to be stained and examined 30 times for example as the right (desired) image is pursued.
Each time for example Fast-green needs to be 'backed-off' an OH wash is needed; but to then attempt the same with water for the reduction of Safranin (properly treated as a regressive-stain) will result in the total and fast removal of the perhaps beautifully stained Fast-green! Some stains are rapidly removed by water (e.g. Fast-green) whilst some are rapidly removed by OH (e.g. Gentian-violet), and some are sensitive to both water and OH but not in the extremely rapid manner of the former two stains.

The main protagonists are the acid and the basic stain classes, combined with the 'progressive' and 'regressive' stains, then there is theory that quotes molecular weight as a factor in stain displacement between two stains or more, then of course there's the effect (if any) of pH, together with the actual point of insertion of these factors in the timeline of a protocol being studied or evolved.

Many, many factors interacting, before the actual tissue-type is accounted for - makes for a fascinating area of study! If you really want to be driven bonkers, try getting acid Fuchsine to survive dehydration towards mounting! arrrggghhhh..... phht phhht! :shock:

As I work on these methods I'll post some of the ghastly horrors that I produce also - some of them are quite embarrassing! :oops:

Back soon as I get a chance.
I've some (hopefully) mature ovules going into infiltration this afternoon, may even be able to cast some blocks tonight, the ovules are tiny and shouldn't take too long to fully infiltrate with wax... :)

Thanks for your interest and insights old chap - always very useful. :)
John B

zzffnn

#13 Post by zzffnn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Thank you, John, for your explanation.

I know nothing about plant histology. So I am learning from you here.

So how do you usually stain? Safranin, reduction by water (?), then Fast Green, then reduction by strong base?

You probably have done the following. Just in case you have not:

Safranin seems to be a strong base and soluble in alcohol too. If you want to reduce Safranin (nucleus stain) more, maybe you can add a little bit acid and alcohol in the reduction water? And soak it a little longer?

I don't know what else is your solutions, so I am just guessing here (don't take my words, you may want to double check before changing anything).

mrsonchus

#14 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:49 pm

zzffnn wrote:Thank you, John, for your explanation.

I know nothing about plant histology. So I am learning from you here.

So how do you usually stain? Safranin, reduction by water (?), then Fast Green, then reduction by strong base?

You probably have done the following. Just in case you have not:

Safranin seems to be a strong base and soluble in alcohol too. If you want to reduce Safranin (nucleus stain) more, maybe you can add a little bit acid and alcohol in the reduction water? And soak it a little longer?
Aha! Yes indeed zz' the acidified OH will definitely produce stronger and faster differentiation and I do use it although sparingly as I mix my own at the moment using vinegar and IPA - a rather unsatisfactory blend I'm afraid (with a pH of 4). I'm switching to 'proper' acid OH as it's cheap enough to buy also. I also use acidified water (again with white-vinegar) in the same role, the OH version is usually a little 'gentler' than the water also.

With Safranin I usually 'stop the staining process' with a water-bath, which also removes excess stain, then differentiate with OH of various strengths up to full 95% or even acid-OH if necessary.
Fast-green is really a progressive stain and should be added then washed (OH), checked, added then washed (OH), checked, etc until the desired point is reached, rather than overshooting as with a regressive Safranin. However Fast-green in my experience may definitely be used regressively also, but it's laborious and easily overdone, requiring the addition again of Fast-green, during which time any base stain such as Safranin may well be compromised or unbalanced! A rather tricky process for sure, but fascinating! :D

So many possibilities! :D
John B

billben74

#15 Post by billben74 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:00 pm

All fantastic information. Thanks John for all the time you invest and share with the community.

I think I got fairly lucky with my first bash with the saffarin and fast green. 4 mins with saffarin droped straight on the slide, washed in bicarb water to blue. Then through to IPA. 45 secs with a direct drop of fast green, washed with drop of white vinegar in IPA.
Mostly this was good. I didn't even check with the stereo scope. I just noticed it looked nice on the slide :)

I guess the thing about daffodills is that they reproduce vegatatively most of the time --> so maybe this explains the lack of eggs which I also found?
John, you will know more about this than me.