First try at depth stacking. Clover stamen.

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
glennbech

First try at depth stacking. Clover stamen.

#1 Post by glennbech » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi,

This is my first try at depth stacking. It's the stamen of a clover species that flowers early here in Norway. I used my DIY dark field filter and took photos in 4 layers. I did a 11 image stack for each layer, processed in Photomatix, before I combined them in Helicon Focus.

What I learned this time, is that I need to prepare the slides better. If there are unrelated objects above the focal plane I want to use, they create large unfocused artifacts in the image. If I have many of those, the end result is very messy (as you can see here)

The Anthers were stunning to look at as I prepared the slide. They are deep purple and the white pollen created a very interesting contrast. I did not realize this, but the colors faded during the day. So, when I went back to show my girlfriend the nice view later, they were all gray.

Well, everybody have to start somewhere, here goes :)

JimT

Re: First try at depth stacking. Clover stamen.

#2 Post by JimT » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Glennbech, a lot better than some of my first attempts at stacking.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi Glen, and thanks for sharing the start of your adventures! OK - so it's not perfect, but you've made a start and as you say learned a few things, as you will every time you put something together!

My advice would be to treat these processes as an amalgamation of 2 main areas/tasks that must be mastered. The photographic side - where a first priority would be to achieve good 'std' pictures through the 'scope without any stacking or stitching, complemented of course by the specimen preparation side - how to make mounts both temporary and maybe more permanent, all of which involve a measure of surprisingly simple and achievable preparation.

It's entirely possible of course to simplify both sides and start maybe with just some pollen in some water with a coverslip over? Concentrating perhaps on taking some good pictures without stacking and/or stitching at these early stages. Just the handling and any cleaning and coverslipping of specimens takes practice; the good news however is that it doesn't take much to improve greatly and quickly! :)

Off to a great start Glen, keep up the good work as we'd all enjoy following you along your way! :D :)
John B

glennbech

#4 Post by glennbech » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:14 am

Yes. I totally get your reasoning. I've skipped a couple of basic steps here :-) coming from astro photography I am a bit eager on image capture and processing - just a part of the e whole :-)

billbillt

#5 Post by billbillt » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:02 am

John B has the sagest advice... The more you do it, the better you get..
BillT

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi again Glen, I made a quick and easy water-mount that you may like a quick look at - It may be a good way to start for you to try..

Here's the post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2924

Hope it may help get you going old chap. :)
John B

glennbech

#7 Post by glennbech » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:06 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Hi again Glen, I made a quick and easy water-mount that you may like a quick look at - It may be a good way to start for you to try..

Here's the post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2924

Hope it may help get you going old chap. :)
Hi.. Just saw your post. Nice! I decided to try a simple water mount with just pollen from the first spring bloomers next. I will focus on a clean slide and slip. Back to basics :)