Experiemnting with dirt

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Pat Thielen

Experiemnting with dirt

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue May 24, 2016 3:40 am

Here is a rather abstract photo I took of dirt at 100x using darkfield illumination. Also, I used six images to try to stack the focus. I'm still new at this; any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I don't see this photo as a masterpiece or anything -- It's all a part of the learning process. It seems I like lighting other than brightfield! :)
Attachments
micro0013467.jpg
micro0013467.jpg (443.57 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Last edited by Pat Thielen on Tue May 24, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

Re: Experiemnting with dirt

#2 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 am

Maybe this is a silly question, but... How many images are typically used in a focus stack? I know the number will vary but is there an average? I wonder if I should be using more than six images as it would seem I didn't get focus throughout the image I posted. Also, when you take images with the intention of stacking them for focus do you look for specific focal points in the images or do you simply adjust the focus bit by bit until you've photographed every "layer"? I guess I'm curious as to what peoples' techniques are in regard to focus stacking.

Thanks!
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

vasselle

#3 Post by vasselle » Tue May 24, 2016 5:21 am

Bonjour
Très belle photo
Pour des photos en stacking ça dépend du sujet que l'on veut photographier,car ça peux aller de 4 photos à plus de 100 photos.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

Johann

#4 Post by Johann » Tue May 24, 2016 6:26 am

Hi Pat, here is a nice video explaining the process of focus stacking - although it is more related to Macro photography I think the basics will still aply.
The final stacking is done in Photoshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYA7wb2Vkz8
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Tue May 24, 2016 11:30 am

Beautiful image of dirt under darkfield. You might want to also try polarized light.

wmodavis

#6 Post by wmodavis » Tue May 24, 2016 4:42 pm

And that youtube video was super helpful to enlighten me about this stacking mystery so many here use. Love it!
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Tue May 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Good start Pat, I like your experimental style my friend. It may only be dirt at this stage, but your curiosity and nicely-done technique is going to bring you (and us if you post your adventures) much pleasure.... :)
Nice image, interesting and refreshing material.
Thanks for the post Pat. :)
John B

billben74

#8 Post by billben74 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:06 pm

I agree with mrsonchus. You have the eye for something beautiful in something everyday.
Keep them coming...

Pat Thielen

#9 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am

gekko wrote:Beautiful image of dirt under darkfield. You might want to also try polarized light.
I'm not sure if I can use a polarized lighting system on my microscope. What is involved in that type of lighting? I'm always interested in trying different lighting techniques if possible with my equipment.

Thanks!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#10 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks for all the positive comments -- I really appreciate it.

It is indeed a very fun adventure! :)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

gekko

#11 Post by gekko » Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 am

Pat Thielen wrote:
gekko wrote:Beautiful image of dirt under darkfield. You might want to also try polarized light.
I'm not sure if I can use a polarized lighting system on my microscope. What is involved in that type of lighting? I'm always interested in trying different lighting techniques if possible with my equipment.
Thanks!
It is very easy and inexpensive: all you need are two polarizing filters (plastic sheet polarizing material or camera (linear) polarizers, or, as JimT usually suggests, plastic polarizing stereo eyeglassess . Here is a link to an article by him in Microbe Hunter magazne:
http://www.microbehunter.com/microbehun ... -issue-49/ .
Also
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1648&hilit=polarizing
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1725&hilit=polarizer
and you will find many others if you use the "search" button at the top.

Pat Thielen

#12 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu May 26, 2016 12:23 pm

gekko wrote:
Pat Thielen wrote:
Thanks!
It is very easy and inexpensive: all you need are two polarizing filters (plastic sheet polarizing material or camera (linear) polarizers, or, as JimT usually suggests, plastic polarizing stereo eyeglassess . Here is a link to an article by him in Microbe Hunter magazne:
http://www.microbehunter.com/microbehun ... -issue-49/ .
Also
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1648&hilit=polarizing
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1725&hilit=polarizer
and you will find many others if you use the "search" button at the top.

I haven't had a chance to look at the articles yet, but real fast: Would I just use a linear polarizer filter designed for a camera and place it over the light source? I just tried using my circular polarizer but that didn't have any effect (I didn't think it would but I thought I'd give it a try any way). I tried it out on a prepared (store bought) slide of blood. I know there are filters that can be used just by placing them over the light source, in fact, that's where the Motic filters are supposed to go with my microscope.

Thanks much for your help

Edit: I just took a look at the articles and see where the filters need to go. At this point I'm not very comfortable taking the head off my microscope so I'll probably wait a bit until I'm a bit more experienced. But thanks for the suggestion!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810