Testing new 2.5x photo eyepiece

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Crater Eddie

Testing new 2.5x photo eyepiece

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:09 am

Blood smear 20x DPLAN

Blood smear 40x DPLAN

Today the mailman was nice enough to bring me a nice shiny Olympus NFK 2.5x LD photo eyepiece, so I just had to try it out. Of course I needed a way to couple the camera to the microscope. Not having a copy enlargement stand handy, I headed to the workshop to see what I could find. A piece of pvc pipe and an hour or so work on the lathe turned out a pretty nice coupler tube. I used the Olympus literature to figure the proper spacing from the lip of the photo tube flange to the imaging sensor in the camera... and I got pretty darned close. Focusing carefully through the eyepiece then looking at the camera's view screen, I only have to move the fine focus about 1/8 of a turn, that's close enough for now.
The attached are the first photos through the rig, I think they turned out pretty well. These are minimally processed, I'm going to have to invest in some real photo editing software so I can do it up properly. If someone would like to touch these up, fix the color balance and whatnot, I would be much obliged.
By the way, these images are taken of the blood smear slide that I made in January of this year and made a permanent mount with transformer varnish, you might remember my thread about that at the time. It still looks great, I think the mount is a success.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

wmodavis

Re: Testing new 2.5x photo eyepiece

#2 Post by wmodavis » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:02 am

What camera are you using? Like to see a picture of the camera mounted on your coupler tube?
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:14 am

Adjusted Levels
Fiddled with Shadows/Highlights
Removed green with Hue/Saturation
Sharpened

Not having a copy enlargement stand handy, I headed to the workshop to see what I could find. A piece of pvc pipe and an hour or so work on the lathe turned out a pretty nice coupler tube. I used the Olympus literature to figure the proper spacing from the lip of the photo tube flange to the imaging sensor in the camera... and I got pretty darned close. Focusing carefully through the eyepiece then looking at the camera's view screen, I only have to move the fine focus about 1/8 of a turn, that's close enough for now.
Could you add a thread to it and make the length adjustable - 1 cm will probably do.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Crater Eddie

#4 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:39 am

75RR: Oh, that's much better, thanks for the photo edit! I thought about making it adjustable. It could be done, it would take a couple more hours work, I was in a hurry.

wmodavis: These were taken with the Olympus EP-1 "micro four thirds" camera. I'll take some shots of the setup and post tomorrow if you like.

CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

wmodavis

#5 Post by wmodavis » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:42 pm

I would be interested in pics of your setup. I drool over various posted photomicrographs and am formulating a plan to get there myself some day. Every little bit helps. Thanks.
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.