Hamuli

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
c-krebs

Hamuli

#1 Post by c-krebs » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:55 pm

Something of a follow-up to "bee knee" pictures, here is another specialized and quite interesting physical feature found in bees, wasps and other Hymenoptera. In Hymnoptera both the front and rear wings beat in unison. In flight the front and hind wings of a bee are held together by a row of tiny hooks at the leading edge of the rear wing. These hooks, called hamuli, (from the Latin hamus... "hook"), grasp a "ledge" made by a stiff fold on the trailing edge of the front wing. They must be pretty tough... a honey bee beats its wings about 230 times a second, and a worker bee lives for about 6 weeks.

This one shows them as they are actually used to "couple" the leading edge of the rear wing to the front wing. These hooks attach to a very stiff rail, or sharp "fold", at the trailing edge of the front wing. This view is looking at the bottom, with the rear wing in the lower right half. Upper left half is the front wing.

A closer view...

Below is a tiny wasp trapped in amber (baltic amber ~30million years old). Although it looks like it may be fairly large, it probably only measures about 2.5mm long. (About the size of a big aphid). It was displayed nicely, but there were too many bubbles in the amber. I included it here because at the bottom is a "blown-up" section of the wing. If you look carefully you can see hamuli. Seems like the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is applicable in nature as well. ;)

This last is a "cross-eyed" stereo. I added this because this subject can be hard to visualize well in 2-dimensions. Viewed from above, the hamuli curve upward and back in a slight spiral manner.

I understand that some people just can "see" these, and to them I apologize. But most people can... some quite readily and some with a little practice. (Search "how to view cross-eyed stereo images" and you will find some helpful pages). This stereo was made using a feature in Zerene Stacker. When you acquire a modest sized to large size Z-stack there is good "depth" information in the series of pictures. A clever program like Zerene can use this to produce a stereo image. If you enjoy a cross-eyed stereo images like this let me know. I've got a few interesting ones.

KurtM

Re: Hamuli

#2 Post by KurtM » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Fantastic - another killer post full of lovely imagery and new information!

I love stereo images too, always great fun to see. Charles, I finally downloaded the Zerene free trial (and so far just love it!), but it doesn't seem to let me make stereo pairs. Wonder if it's unavailable on the trial version?
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:04 am

Amazing photos and interesting story. Thank you Charles!

c-krebs

#4 Post by c-krebs » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:14 am

KurtM wrote:I love stereo images too, always great fun to see. Charles, I finally downloaded the Zerene free trial (and so far just love it!), but it doesn't seem to let me make stereo pairs. Wonder if it's unavailable on the trial version?
I don't know for sure, but I am fairly certain that it would. Look under "Preferences" then "Stereo/Rocking". It does not do it directly. It will make left and right images in the number and shift values you specify. After all the images have been stacked, go into "Tools" => "Stereo" => "Start Preview". You then choose between the previously stacked left/right images until you get the effect you like best. Then you stop preview and go to "Tools" again and "Stop Preview". Go to "Tools" => "Make Stereo Pairs" and it will make the pair with the images you have selected in the preview. I think there is a page on Zerene somewhere that goes into detail on the procedure.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:22 am

Very interesting post + nicely illustrated with your excellent images.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:35 am

Thanks Charles. I need to figure out where those directions are, I guess, as I'm not able to get it going on. I've given values for all parameters in the Options>Preferences>Stacking/Rocking dialog and checked Generate stereo pair or rocking sequence box, but the Preview and Make Stereo Pair menu options are still inactive as if waiting for something else...? Also have a stacked output image just a-waitin'.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

c-krebs

#7 Post by c-krebs » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:07 am

Kort,

Not sure I understand your procedure. It should go like this....

1) Load the image stack
2) in Preferences, check the stereo/rocking box and select the number of images and the shifts desired
3) Go to "Stack" and run stacking using your desired method (Pmax, Dmap or both)

The program will then produce the number of images (at the shift values) you initially entered in the stereo/rocking section in Preferences. After it has processed all the images they will show up in the "Output Images" box in the lower left. Then you should be able to start the preview process.

Rodney

#8 Post by Rodney » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:29 am

Just another set of wonderful photo`s you have Charles. Your little wasp in 30 million year old baltic amber rings a bell for me, but I was only able to capture parts of this and that from a few samples of hundreds of amber chips. I think I spent 3 months looking etc.
But my question is about those bubbles which I have seen also. Do those bubbles still have 30 million year old air in them and could a air sample be taken from inside amber that old? I do know that amber is not easy to work with.
Just looking at the eye of the little wasp in amber you can start to see the compound structures. Thanks for posting those and any more.

Rodney

vasselle

#9 Post by vasselle » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:55 am

Bonjour
Superbes séries images
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

KurtM

#10 Post by KurtM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:10 am

c-krebs wrote:Kort,

Not sure I understand your procedure. It should go like this....

1) Load the image stack
2) in Preferences, check the stereo/rocking box and select the number of images and the shifts desired
3) Go to "Stack" and run stacking using your desired method (Pmax, Dmap or both)

The program will then produce the number of images (at the shift values) you initially entered in the stereo/rocking section in Preferences. After it has processed all the images they will show up in the "Output Images" box in the lower left. Then you should be able to start the preview process.
That worked - thanks (again) Charles! Now, how does one determine most advantageous shift values? I plan to experiment, but hints and clues to shorten the process are always appreciated!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

Johann

#11 Post by Johann » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:29 am

Speechless. Thanks Charles.
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:02 pm

I will echo all of the above!... All that you post is nothing short of stellar!... Thanks!..

BillT

billben74

#13 Post by billben74 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:48 pm

Well, you can't get enough praise. Wonderful, and I managed to pick the stereo trick again.

KurtM

#14 Post by KurtM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:12 pm

Never mind my questions above Charles, I'm making gangbuster progress with making stereo pairs in Zerene - and loving to program otherwise too, sure to be purchasing it after the trial period is up if not sooner!

You got me started, and this was - is - a huge help: http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/do ... eticstereo . Thank you yet again! 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

gekko

#15 Post by gekko » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:29 am

Thank you for sharing those fantastic images together with the very interesting, informative explanatory description.