Botryococcus in glycerine

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
75RR

Botryococcus in glycerine

#1 Post by 75RR » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Planapo 63x/1.4, DIC, 25 image stack in Photoshop

Thought I would try some glycerine for a change - results are certainly a bit different.
There is a softness and smoothness that is quite pleasing, as are the colours,
unfortunately this comes at a price ... a lack of sharpness.
Additionally there were a couple of small rotifers in the sample that did not take to it very well.

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

Re: Botryococcus in glycerine

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:01 pm

Hey 75' that's a very pleasing image to my eyes - quite lovely to look at. Some good features also -I personally think sometimes the 'smoothness' of such almost 3D images is an enhancement - it allows me to 'see the overall structure' without the possible distraction of ultra-sharp line/s..
Very nice indeed.
If you ensure that there's no water in your glycerin, either by design or a period of drying, you may, after say a week, seal this mount with nail polish or equivalent with a very high probability of achieving a virtually-permanent mount.
Oh, during such a week you should also find that the glycerin will have a slight clearing (optically speaking) action upon the cell also.

Either way it's a very good image to me. :)
John B

billben74

#3 Post by billben74 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:26 pm

I see what you mean about a softness. Really nice image.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:39 am

There are very beautiful images. Maybe it is my poor vision, but to me they look very nice and smooth, but do not lack sharpness.

c-krebs

#5 Post by c-krebs » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:08 am

It is a beautiful image. I like the light quality, and as gekko said there really is detail in there.
Just out of curiously I plopped it into Photoshop and tried a "Smart Sharpen", radius 0.7, to about 250%. It still maintained that smooth soft lighting look but the low-contrast detail really looked good.

vasselle

#6 Post by vasselle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:44 am

Bonjour
Je trouve votre image très belle.
J'utilise moi même la glycérine liquide pour préparé mes observation,et je n'est jamais remarqué que image était plus lisse avec la glycérine.
Au contraire je trouve image meilleure plus de finesse et de clarté dans image quand justement je me sert de le glycérine liquide.
Par contre il ne faut pas trop en mettre juste une petite goutte pas plus sinon la préparation est trop épaisse.
En tout cas bravo pour votre travail que j'apprécie beaucoup.
Et merci pour le partage.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks mrsonchus, billben74, gekko, c-krebs and vasselle
If you ensure that there's no water in your glycerin, either by design or a period of drying, you may, after say a week, seal this mount with nail polish or equivalent with a very high probability of achieving a virtually-permanent mount.
Thanks for the tip, though I must admit to being a more of a virtual mount person. :)
Just out of curiously I plopped it into Photoshop and tried a "Smart Sharpen", radius 0.7, to about 250%. It still maintained that smooth soft lighting look but the low-contrast detail really looked good.
Thanks - I have become too automated in my settings - that does work well!
Au contraire je trouve image meilleure plus de finesse et de clarté dans image quand justement je me sert de le glycérine liquide.
That was what I had expected - perhaps the type of glycerine or the amount made the difference.
It says Glicerina Vegetal USP on the homemade looking label on the bottle. ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)