5 stereo. Crab larva, Geranium robertianum,aphid... more

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
c-krebs

5 stereo. Crab larva, Geranium robertianum,aphid... more

#1 Post by c-krebs » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Here are five "synthetic stereo" (cross-eyed pairs) made using Zerene Stacker. Again, apologies to those who cannot see the stereo effect... I've deliberately selected ones where the 2-D images are still interesting to see, so hopefully you can still enjoy them. The images in this selection images also seem to "fuse" easily and effectively, so for those who might be close to "getting it" and just need a little practice they might be helpful.

This first one is obviously an aphid. A side note...
Johann had posted some stack tests with Zerene, and had originally obtained a troublesome background (later resolved). It was because there was an exposure variation in the frames. I had exactly the same problem here. This was illuminated with electronic flash. Unfortunately not all flash units are consistent from exposure to exposure. The variation would probably go unnoticed with different scenes, but when stacking (especially with a soft or monochromatic background) it can cause real problems in the background of the stack. The solution here (as with Johann's test image) was to be sure that in the stacking preferences you selected to enable the program to correct for exposure variations.

This second image is the interior of a Geranium robertianum ("Herb Robert") flower. This was made from a 162 image stack.

The this third image is the interior of a Vinca minor (Periwinkle). These have a rather complex and fascinating "arrangement". This is a case where a stereo image really helps you to see the actual "geometry".

This forth one is of some wing scales on a day flying moth ...Green-banded Urania (Urania leilus).
It was taken with an Olympus 50/0.50 LMPlanFLN objective. The field area for this image is 0.3 x 0.45mm (0.012 x 0.018 inch). It was a 44 image stack. One thing I like about this is that we normally think of butterfly or moth winds as "flat", but at these magnifications you can see some interesting topography in a stereo.

This last image is a crab larva. Quite bizarre looking little creature. I have a very small plankton net (153 micron mesh) that I often cast out with a fishing pole to collect specimens. This marine specimen came from Puget Sound in Washington State. (47.58980532406678, -122.3795099436046 to be exact ;) ) This is another case where the stereo really helps to show the unusual morphology.

KurtM

Re: 5 stereo. Crab larva, Geranium robertianum,aphid... more

#2 Post by KurtM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:51 pm

c-krebs wrote:I've deliberately selected ones where the 2-D images are still interesting to see...
Should be twice as interesting to see ! :mrgreen:

LOVE the stereo images - gives a whole new page of information to the viewer. Wish I could wave a magic wand and make everybody able to see 'em.

One thing I haven't quite gotten straight on yet, however: which way is that crab larva aimed? :shock: 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

rnabholz

#3 Post by rnabholz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Ok Charles, awesome images as usual, but adding dimensions now? C'mon!

These are always fun, I am usually able to see them, but it always takes me a minute.

The first one really jumps out for me.

Thanks and keeping them coming.

Rod

Crater Eddie

#4 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Gorgeous stereo pairs! I have a little trouble getting the moth wing images to merge, but once they do its great. Thanks for showing us these.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

JimT

#5 Post by JimT » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:45 pm

How close am I supposed to get to the monitor?

Good images anyway.

JimT

billben74

#6 Post by billben74 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Amazing pics. The last one is surely a great starting point for a sci fi space ship design

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 pm

I can't see it either, Jim... Wonderful photos anyway!!...

BillT

KurtM

#8 Post by KurtM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:33 pm

I never have trouble seeing these, and don't know if that means I can or should try to give advice or not. But what the heck, why not give it a shot?

Viewing distance: I'd say roughly three feet is probably a good start. I can see 'em without difficulty as close as 18", and as far as 6 feet away. 30" to 36" seems most comfortable. Look at the center line and begin slowly crossing your eyes. The center line becomes two. Slowly "increase" the distance between the "two" to approximately equal the width of either of the single images. Or in other words, try to go from two equal spaces to three equal spaces. Now just hold it there, and try to hang loose and relax because it may take a while as your eyes go nuts trying to make sense of the view in the middle, but eventually the 3D image should come together and suddenly snap into focus. Sometimes it almost does, but not quite; just keep relaxing and waiting for it to happen. And hang on to your hat, because it'll knock your socks off!

It might be helpful to start with some warm-up exercises. Stare at the center line and momentarily cross your eyes two or three or four times to get used to it. Now try doing it slowly. Once you get your eyeballs muscles used to this unfamiliar command, then tackle the above. Good luck - I guarantee it's worth the effort or your money back!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:20 am

I tried using Kurt's advice, but I still failed to see in stereo. But no matter: they are so enjoyable to see in 2D. In fact I agree with Kurt: they give twice as much pleasure to look at :).

c-krebs

#10 Post by c-krebs » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:36 am

Another method to try...

Center your head to the image on the screen (about 25-30" away). Hold your index finger up vertically in front of you toward the screen, and in line with the center line between the stereo pair. Focus on your finger, and gradually move it towards your nose. While you do this try to maintain focus on your index finger (This will cause your eyes to cross). When it is about 6-10 inches from your nose, slowly lower your finger while you direct your attention to the stereo image on the screen. As you change your "attention" to the screen try to not "uncross" your eyes.

It's a real kick when you get the images to merge into a stereo view.

KurtM

#11 Post by KurtM » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 am

It's a mind over matter thing. Use the force Luuuuuuuuke. 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

Johann

#12 Post by Johann » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:31 am

Yeah, I'm also battling to see it - now my eyes don't want to focus normally on the screen either :roll: ;)
Great images nonetheless :)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

gekko

#13 Post by gekko » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:28 pm

c-krebs wrote:Another method to try...

Center your head to the image on the screen (about 25-30" away). Hold your index finger up vertically in front of you toward the screen, and in line with the center line between the stereo pair. Focus on your finger, and gradually move it towards your nose. While you do this try to maintain focus on your index finger (This will cause your eyes to cross). When it is about 6-10 inches from your nose, slowly lower your finger while you direct your attention to the stereo image on the screen. As you change your "attention" to the screen try to not "uncross" your eyes.

It's a real kick when you get the images to merge into a stereo view.
Thank you very much, Charles, for taking the time to explain this. I tried following your directions, and it does look promising as I almost got it a couple times but only for a fraction of a second, so I will come back and try again as I think I am very close. Others who have the same difficulty may want to try also.

billben74

#14 Post by billben74 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:24 pm

I have just about managed to relearn how to do this.
I have a feeling I'm not as good at it as I was 20 years ago....
Using a finger at the midpoint between you and the image helped.
Once you start to see the effect you have to go with it.
I found the last image the hardest.

c-krebs

#15 Post by c-krebs » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:29 pm

billben74 wrote:Once you start to see the effect you have to go with it.
Exactly! Relax at that point! I mentioned with the first stereo image I posted (bee hamuli) that I realize it seems this is not doable for some people. I have some other stereos that are pretty cool as well, but I guess I'll stick more to the regular shots in the future (probably throw in one or two once in a while). Again, sorry for the frustration of those who are unable to see the stereo effect.

There are basically two ways to present a stereo pair. "Cross-eyed viewing" and "parallel viewing". For free viewing (no optical device used) more people are successful with cross-eye viewing. However for parallel viewing there are quite a few optical viewer devices available. (While some people can do it, I can't free-view parallel pairs). Most of us have seen an old "Holmes" viewer and stereo cards so popular in the late Victorian era (the viewer was invented by Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1861). This was "parallel" viewing.

KurtM

#16 Post by KurtM » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Darn! Wish you'd go ahead and post 'em...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

Crater Eddie

#17 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:32 pm

Yes, please go ahead and post your stereo pairs for those of us who can and do appreciate them.
By the way, I have no trouble free-viewing parallel pairs, they work fine for me.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

billbillt

#18 Post by billbillt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:12 pm

I can start to see it.... get it for about 1 sec.. goes away!!...LOL

billben74

#19 Post by billben74 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:37 pm

Thats what happens to me except I manage to keep hold of it.

Look for detail in the newly forming 3-d image.
The image is in your mind (this is, of course, a trueism) so look with your mind not your eyes (as that tends to make the muscles of your eyes straighten).

Its quite zen...

Charles

#20 Post by Charles » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:08 am

I love these stereo views. Excellent!

Tom Jones

#21 Post by Tom Jones » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:37 am

It took me awhile to get used to it a couple of years ago. Now I can get most images in 3-4 seconds from about 24" away from the screen.

I have to say I LOVE the crab larva, and it's perfect for stereo.

Tom

exmarine

#22 Post by exmarine » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:39 am

Superb as always Charles, you make me feel "I can't post that its not up to a standard acceptable". Oh well one can always dream.

Thank you Charles.

Here are my crab larva.
Thank you :shock:
Best regards
exmarine :x

uses Watson 'Service' 1950 compound.
uses Watson Stereo 1960 ish.

Rodney

#23 Post by Rodney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:59 am

I guess all of the above since i`ve never been there.
thanks,,
Rodney

billbillt

#24 Post by billbillt » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:18 am

billben74 wrote:Thats what happens to me except I manage to keep hold of it.

Look for detail in the newly forming 3-d image.
The image is in your mind (this is, of course, a trueism) so look with your mind not your eyes (as that tends to make the muscles of your eyes straighten).

Its quite zen...
MONSTERS FROM THE ID !!..

hkv

#25 Post by hkv » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:00 am

Charles, the images speaks for themselves! Simply superb. I just wanted to say that you are a true inspiration for me in my hobby. I will get there some day. Until then, i'll keep trying...
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival