Two beautiful rotifers

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
lukem321

Two beautiful rotifers

#1 Post by lukem321 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:10 pm

Hello forum,
Today I got to see, for the first time in person, two amazing rotifer species. The first being of the genus Notholca, has longitudinal striations and six anterior spines. The second, which I was really excited to see, was of the genus Trichotria. It has two spines on the first segment of its foot, two large toes, and facets in its lorica. My camera really could not do justice to these beautiful creatures, but its better than nothing :D .
Luke

Notholca

Image031 by lukem12321, on Flickr

Image037 by lukem12321, on Flickr

Trichotria

Image062 by lukem12321, on Flickr

Image057 by lukem12321, on Flickr

Image055 by lukem12321, on Flickr

JimT

Re: Two beautiful rotifers

#2 Post by JimT » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Lukem, can you tell us about your equipment, if you haven't already and I missed it.
What scope and cameras.
Nice images. I especially preferred the last three. How were they taken?

vasselle

#3 Post by vasselle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Bonjour
Très belles séries image.
Car je les trouve vraiment bien.
Appareil photo que vous utiliser ça serais pas un compact APN car je vois des cercles concentriques sur la photo ce qui est le défaut de certains APN .
Et sinon vous pouvez zoomer un peu pour ne plus avoir le cercle noir autour de l'image.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 am

I see your ID kit is working well!
Am amazed at the length of the Trichotria toes. Looking forward to seeing one myself.

I second JimT's motion. It would be nice if more members started their own thread in the "My microscope" section.
Always nice to see what people are using.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Very nice finds!

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:08 pm

You just have to love the rotifers.
I see the faint concentric rings in the background of photos 1 and 2 as Seb mentioned, I have have seen that effect before in my own photos. We had a long discussion about it on the old forum. :mrgreen:
I like your photos, keep it up.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

lukem321

#7 Post by lukem321 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks for commenting evryone!
Crater Eddie and Seb: Seb, you are correct in saying that concentric rings are from the camera that I am using, and that a compact camera would probably get rid of the problem. As in the first two images, there are no concentric rings because the camera is fully zoomed in.

Pardon, mon Francais n'est pas bon... Seb, vous etes correct que les cercles concentriques dans mes photos ont ete causer par mon appreil photo, et que ce n'est pas un compact APN. Dans les deux premiers images, le zoom a elimine les cercles, mais le Trichotria etait trop grand et vite pour zoomer.

JimT and others: I haven't shared my equipment yet because it isn't very impressive :P . I use an Omano OM-118-B4 binocular compound microscope and a Canon powershot A4000 digital camera that i hold up to the eyepiece. I don't make any edits to my photos. I guess you could say I am more interested in what I am seeing than the pictures I am taking, but I am open to camera reccomendations for under $100.

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 pm

I use an Omano OM-118-B4 binocular compound microscope and a Canon powershot A4000 digital camera that i hold up to the eyepiece.
I think microscopy is a little like music. No point upgrading the instrument until one feels constrained by its limits.

I would however recommend a tripod for the camera.

lukem321

#9 Post by lukem321 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:58 pm

To be honest, I do feel a bit constrained by my equipment. The reason I don't upgrade is that I'm going to college next year where I will (hopefully) have access to nicer equipment. I think buying a camera that works well with microscopes would be a better investment because I could use it on any microscope I encounter.

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:17 pm

... I'm going to college next year where I will (hopefully) have access to nicer equipment ...
That "nicer equipment" might well include a trinocular and camera; I would hold on until you see what is available.
In the mean time a tripod is, in terms of photographic quality, as good as an upgrade.