alga zygospore again

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
75RR

alga zygospore again

#1 Post by 75RR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:43 am

Planapochromat (Planapo) 63x/1.4, 50µm, DIC, 10 and 7 image stacks in Photoshop

Last edited by 75RR on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Seb28

Re: alga zygospore again

#2 Post by Seb28 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:00 am

Very nice images ,I like them. ;)
-Reichert Polyvar
-Olympus IX70
-Zeiss Photomicroscope
-Canon 600D

hkv

#3 Post by hkv » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:18 am

WOW! Almost like 3D
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

vasselle

#4 Post by vasselle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:15 pm

Bonjour.
Superbes images.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Many thanks Seb28, hkv and vasselle

Suphot

#6 Post by Suphot » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:48 am

I like the 3D effect, it is very beautiful and good looking photo.

Suphot

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:10 am

Hi, 75RR...I,m enjoying and learning from all your posts...thank you.

As I.m assembling a: 'poor mans DIC scope for 40X objective'...I drink up any and all specs you provide with your posted "Dic image" of this algae life-stage.

My keen question to you is: what does that image spec:"50 microns" mean in these excellent images of an algae life stage?

I intend to share in our forum my: 'poor mans DIC setup'...I promise.

So please describe in this excellent image you share with all...what does the spec: "50 microns" refer to in your stacked image capture? How do you choose this crisp spec: "50 microns" in your description of the setup you used for this beautiful image capture? all the best, charlie guevara, finger lakes/US

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Many thanks Suphot and charlie g

Hi charlie g,

I would be interested to see the steps you take to magic a homemade DIC for your 40x objective.
I have the 4th and last DIC system designed for the finite Zeiss 160 tube microscopes.
It consists of a common position prism I or II on the condenser (I ≦ 16x, II ≧ 40x) and individual objective specific sliders that fit into the DIC adapter rings above each objective.
Following arturo's work at http://www.microscopeitaly.it/2009/11/3 ... -versione/ and that of Cactusdave over at the photomacrography forum who refers to this optimistic approach as "mismatched objectives" http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=31435 I have had some success with what I am calling "Non Designated Objectives" particularly my Neofluar 25x/0.60 Pol.
This is particularly pleasing because 25x was, until my lucky break in getting DIC, my favourite objective magnification. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3947

The 50µm in the description refers to the size of the subject.
I try to keep to the same order in my descriptions that accompany the images in each thread.
If there is more than one image then the second description refers to the second image and so on: e.g. DIC, Oblique and Phase, 6, 8 and 9 image stacks ...
Description of the objective - optovar magnification - subject size in microns - illumination technique - number of images in each stack/stacks in the stitch - post processing software

Link to the 4 Zeiss finite 160 tube DIC systems pdf:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1543

billben74

#9 Post by billben74 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Beautiful. The look good enough to eat;)

Manfred

#10 Post by Manfred » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Great shots, unfortunately I`ve no DIC at the moment, but when I see this images I must have to upgrade my equipment for DIC.

JimT

#11 Post by JimT » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Beautiful. The look good enough to eat;)
I'll stick with spinach :)

Beautiful images.

charlie g

#12 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks for the links...I will drink them up, 75RR. On ebay quite a few years ago...an Olympus trinoc with a metal 'push-pull' control rod (specs for each rod position: D or B), this stand has epillumination with it's intact and removable/ positionable polarizer filter...and (the hook for me to purchase!) the MPlan 40x with it's MPlan 40, 1.1X, objective wolaston prism attachment..the other objectives all epi, without prism attachments.

So I ebay purchased (cost more than the stand I just described!) ...I purchased an Olympus U-DP A40 Normarski DIC prism.

Using a 1.25 substage condenser, and nested below a field illuminator which neatly holds both the polarizer filter and the DIC filter.....I observed images of a water flea, a seed shrimp...yes an Qstracod crusteaceans shell.

With an occular polarizer, with orientations of both that substage DIC filter, and the substage polarizer...I observed what to my eyes is a seemingly topographical demensioned image of the shells rich textured surface.

I posted a series of these images with excitment in a microscopy forum...I asked if others can comment on wether or not my images were 'DIC' transmitted light contrast technique.

Not a single reply to my images, or to my querry were given to me...sigh.

The low cost stand is a shiny finished light grey colored Olympus Tokyo stand: Olympus Tokyo Japan: 215939

I intend to set it up soon...to generate images...to post to this forum...all your links are 'mana' for me, 75RR!

To not hijack your excellent post of DIC algae...I'll leave you, 75RR with a last question: Can microscopists like you and others who have access to DIC observations...can you react to posted images and sense wether or not DIC contrast is evident in the images? Does one 'slide into good DIC contrast...than loose amount of DIC contrast as filters orientations are changed?

thanks for this posting you enticed me to wonder about...and my 'poor mans DIC' microscopy attempts. charlie guevara

75RR

#13 Post by 75RR » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Can microscopists like you and others who have access to DIC observations...can you react to posted images and sense wether or not DIC contrast is evident in the images?
Happy to give my opinion. I am sure other DIC practitioners would as well.
I would suggest that you post them in the Illumination Techniques section.